Enhanced-Search-Widget-for-FlexViewer Part III

04-30-2013 03:58 PM
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
All,

Here is a new thread to post questions and discuss the Enhanched Search Widget. The old thread was getting too long.
Tags (2)
776 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Matthew,

So your issue is in your second expression value:

<value prompt="Example: 20" isvaluerequired="false" autosubmit="false" >gamefish_weight > '[value]</value>

To start you have a single qoute in front of the [value] (unbalanced). The second part of your issue is that when searching numeric field you don use single qoutes as this indicates a string and not a number. Third is you should escape < and > values in XML with &lt; and &gt;

Correct value:

<value prompt="Example: 20" isvaluerequired="false" autosubmit="false" >gamefish_weight &gt; [value]</value>
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Dongxing,

Thanks for the sample data. I will see what I can come up with.
0 Kudos
MatthewColwin
New Contributor
Robert -

Thank you so much for your extremely fast response! Your fixes worked like a charm! I'm in a distance program so I don't really have anyone to check my code for simple syntax errors (the single quote), let alone to help me with anything more complex. I really appreciate it! For the record though, I did have the proper greater than notation in there initially, but wondered if that was causing my issue. I'm glad to have you confirm I was on the right track there.

Thanks again! Getting this solved will allow me to sleep much better tonight.

-Matt
0 Kudos
JulieWilliams1
New Contributor
All,

New Version now available:

Version 3.5.3 - 10/22/2013
* Fixed issue With preload="minimized" and the dropdownlists.
* Fixed issue with SubTypes and Domains assigned to subtypes.
* Fixed issue with text qualify userlists and the 'all' option.

Hi Robert!

Just wanted to let you know I downloaded the latest version of the tool and it works beautifully!  Fixed my domain problems, which will make my users very happy!  Thanks, so much, for your help with this and for getting it working for me - it's an awesome tool! 

Julie Williams
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Julie,

Good to hear. Thanks for your willingness to provide the data which helped me resolve this issue.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Dongxing,

Well I have some bad news. It turns out that this is a documented ArcGIS Server issue. There was a bug logged NIM083086 and the Bug was rejected by the server development team "Known Limitation On Server End". The other user that had this same situation was told to remove the join or the Subtype field (not much of a resolution). I have added my name to the nimbus bug for this issue to see if it can be reopened and possibly get fixed without out a lame response from the development team, to just remove the join or the subtype field. I would recommend that you report the bug as well (make sure that you duplicate the issue using the OTB Search widget and not the eSearch, or they will just blame it on the custom widget).
0 Kudos
DongxingMa
New Contributor II
Dongxing,

Well I have some bad news. It turns out that this is a documented ArcGIS Server issue. There was a bug logged NIM083086 and the Bug was rejected by the server development team "Known Limitation On Server End". The other user that had this same situation was told to remove the join or the Subtype field (not much of a resolution). I have added my name to the nimbus bug for this issue to see if it can be reopened and possibly get fixed without out a lame response from the development team, to just remove the join or the subtype field. I would recommend that you report the bug as well (make sure that you duplicate the issue using the OTB Search widget and not the eSearch, or they will just blame it on the custom widget).

This is really too bad! I have spent quite a lot of time trying to make it work, didn't find the bug info until you told me. Now I understand why even you couldn't make it work. I definitely will report the bug to ESRI. I think my case is a very common case, why they don't want to fix the bug?

Come back to the eSearch widget, I think joined table and fields are much more important than subtype field(which I can create a specific version of map services for eSearch to use, in this map service turn subtype field off) for us, so I may have to use the 3.5 version eSearch instead of the latest version 3.5.3. 

By the way, is the "OTB Search widget" just ESRI's regular search widget? We have been using it for two years, I knew it only directly displays subtype value as number (code), can't automatically transfer code into description and display it, but it doesn't give a error, doesn't crush the search. So, I created domain tables for all our subtype and domain fields, and related them together, in identify and search widgets configuration files, make them display the description fields while searching by the code fields.

I wonder if you have a similar version of eSearch, that it can handle joined table and fields well, and just treat subtype field as a regular field to read and display the code numbers, but won't give error message, won't crush the search process? If you do have such a version, or you can easily create such a version, that would still be a very good news for users like me (please consider about  it if it won't cost you too much time). Anyway, we need push ESRI develop team to fix their bug!

Thank you very much for your information, your widgets and all the work you are sharing with the community!

Dongxing
0 Kudos
BrandonOberbauer
New Contributor
Robert,
I've been using the tool with great success for a few years now and thanks! I have a question on the amount of records that can be returned via a graphical search or text search. Is there a limit on the application end to how many records can be retrieved and exported via the tool? I know about the setting on the AGS Server side, but when I select a large amount of records from a layer (say gt 50,000) using the graphical search it will select the features, but the search results container will be empty and I cannot export the table out to csv. Is this a limitation or can I change a setting somewhere?

Also I'm on version 3.4

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon
0 Kudos
DerekHunter1
New Contributor II
I may have missed it in my searches of this thread, but I cannot seem to determine why the Search Layers drop-down in all of the search types in the widget do not show any layers.  Its as if they are there but I can't see them.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Dongxing,

I knew it only directly displays subtype value as number (code), can't  automatically transfer code into description and display it, but it  doesn't give a error, doesn't crash the search
This is strange as I get error 400 when using the standard esri search widget when using a joined layer that has a subtype. Actually That is the test case I shared with esri when reporting this bug.

Also strange that you say
can't  automatically transfer code into description and display it
esris search widget does handle subtype fine as long as there is no join as well.

Whether you leave the Subtype field out of your eSearchWidget.xml field list or not does not matter as esri adds the subtype field automatically in the API when a query is done on a layer that has a subtype defined in its REST end point. The only way to get past that is to hide the Subtype field in the MXD before you publish the map service. Once you hide the SubType field in the MXD and republish the service (with the Join), then version 3.5.3 works just fine as well as older versions of the eSearch.

so I may have to use the 3.5 version eSearch instead of the latest version 3.5.3
Why?.. In 3.5.3 Subtypes works and joined tables has worked way back since the 2.x version of the widget.
0 Kudos