Feature Labels in Flex Viewer

01-17-2011 04:58 PM
NadeemShaukat
New Contributor II
I have scale dependent labels for features in my dynamic service but they are not showing up in the Flex Viewer environment. However, they show up if I use the same service in an application outside the Flex Viewer.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

If anyone at ESRI knows the reason, please respond.

Thanks

Nadeem
Tags (2)
25 Replies
BertaZamora
New Contributor
I have the same issue. I have a feature layer that has labels. On this layer defines a dynamic definition expression. Change to dynamic layer does not work for me because I can not set a definition expression.

Is there any way to do this?
0 Kudos
sunjian
New Contributor II
I come across the same question! It's boring very much!
0 Kudos
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
FionaHatfield
New Contributor

Your issue is not the App Builder program it is your use and understanding of how to add operational layers. If you look in my attached graphic you will see when I choose a map service and chick on a map service (represented by the folder icon, number one in the image) and then click the Include button. It will add the Whole map service as a dynamic layer (that supports the drawing of label that are setup in ArcMap). You you double click the folder then you get a list of individual layers of that map service and when you choose one of those layers and click include that LAYER of the Map Service gets add and is added to the map as a feature layer (which does not support labeling). So just click the map service folder (not choosing individual layers) and you will be able to add dynamic layers to the map.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22959[/ATTACH]

This is EXACTLY the answer I was looking for. I *hope* esri includes this in their documentation, because I spent a good 2 hours looking for the answer in the "ArcGIS Viewer for Flex" online documentation. I almost gave up on this thread because it looked like it was going in a different direction. Thank you Richard for taking the time to answer this!
0 Kudos
BharathiChandran
New Contributor III
What if I want to label features that are exposed for editing?
The IDs for the newly created features are auto generated at the database level and not entered by the user. So, I need them to be displayed on saving the new feature. Is there any way to do it?

Thanks,
Bharathi
0 Kudos
MatthewMalone
Occasional Contributor
Hey Matt, I'd recommend just go with editing the .xml. The App. Builder is really for people that are not comfortable with editing the .xml, and given that you're a GIS Coordinator and GISP, you should have no issue with that. Your life will be much better just getting the job done in the .xml vs. using a GUI.

Thanks for your input, but being a GIS professional doesn't automatically assume comfort levels with any/all aspects of .xml hacking.  It's a matter of speed and ease of creation, which is the reason the App Builder exists in the first place.  I don't miss tweaking the minutia of ArcIMS files a decade ago, so the Flex GUI is what makes my life better.
0 Kudos