Flex builder 3.5 application builder does not let me see the 3.4 websites I created

10-02-2013 06:03 AM
MikeGarza
New Contributor III
I upgraded my Flex Application Builder from 3.4 to 3.5. I had created several websites with the 3.4 builder and for some reason I cannot see the website once I upgraded them to 3.5. Here is what I did:
1) I installed Flex Buider 3.5
2) Open up the application builder made a copy of my existing applications and then upgraded my applications from 3.4 to 3.5.
3) I can edit the application and even the widgets with the 3.5 application builder but it will not show me a preview or even open up the URL.

It appears that the 3.5 builder does not recognize the
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Flexviewers folder that is automatically created by the application builder.

If I create an entirely new application in 3.5 it will open up without a problem. Trouble is I have several crucial application already created with the 3.4 builder that also have a lot of widgets already configured and I can't afford to re-create all of those again.

I re-installed the 3.4 builder and I can see all of my copied 3.4 applications again. Has anyone else run into this issue?

Mike Garza
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Mike:

I do not use application builder, but I do use the compiled FlexViewer application.  I have ran into the same problem as you with previous versions.  Sometimes I was able to do the same thing as you and it worked (usually simpler applications with less widgets), but other times I could not get the application to run in the next release unless I rebuilt the compiled application (easier than compiling code, but still could be time consuming).

Unless the new release has added new functionality that your end-user cannot live without, I would just leave the application at v3.4 and wait for a later version with more improvements to upgrade the application.
0 Kudos
MikeGarza
New Contributor III
Thanks Michael,

I wish I could wait but I specifically asked for an enhancement to the data extract widget and they added it in to the 3.5 version. The only thing is I cannot upgrade to 3.5 if it refuses to see the applications I built and had upgraded from 3.4. 

Not sure what to do next. I might have to call them and put in a trouble ticket. In order to do that I would have to re-install 3.5 and show them it does not work causing my 3.4 applications to not be editable.

Mike
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
I might have to call them and put in a trouble ticket. In order to do that I would have to re-install 3.5 and show them it does not work causing my 3.4 applications to not be editable.

Contacting support might be the easiest way to figure out why you installation isn't working for you.

Here some things you might want to try as well:

• Does the "Preview" screen displays blank or is there some sort of error message?

• What happens on the "Design" tab?

• When you click the Application URL on the "Preview", does it open a browser?  If so, if you look at the network traffic, is there any requests at all?

• What does your config.xml look like?

• Is there anything "custom" in the configuration files that you've edited outside the application builder?

0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
I am preparing to upgrade using the Application Builder from 3.1 to 3.5 so I am reviewing threads related to the topic. I am concerned about running into a problem like the one detailed here. Is there documentation anywhere that details the application upgrade process using the Application Builder?
0 Kudos