How to include custom widget into ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder

01-09-2013 07:39 AM
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Hi All,

I am new to flex development. I have developed a simple widget which shows a map coordinates on map click, using "Source code for Flex Viewer 3.0" in Flash bulder 4.7.

now I would like to include the above widget into ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder 3.1. When I added it has been added successfully but when I click on widget nothing is shown, where as in flash builder it is working fine.

please suggest me how to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Uday
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
SarthakDatt
Occasional Contributor III
Have you looked at this: Packaging Custom Widgets for Application Builder

Also, please post Viewer/Builder related questions under: http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/111-ArcGIS-Viewer-for-Flex
0 Kudos
GISDev1
1. Export Release Build in Flash Builder
2. go to bin-release folder, copy the widget's folder that you created.
3. paste that folder in the other flex app. that was created by the app. builder.
4. add reference to that widget in your config.xml
0 Kudos
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I have followed the above steps but no luck. could you please suggest me another alternate.

Thanks,
Uday
0 Kudos
GISDev1
If my steps didn't work, then the API and/or SDK versions are not matching between your Flash Builder project and your App. Builder Flex App.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Actually it is possible that the widget he is referencing is a layout widget and not supported by the Flex Application Builder.
0 Kudos
GISDev1
Actually it is possible that the widget he is referencing is a layout widget and not supported by the Flex Application Builder.

I don't use the App. Builder at all, but I think my steps didn't involve using the app. builder at all.

I was suggesting he take the product that the app. builder generates, and add his custom widget manually.

Is it the case that the flex app. which is produced by the App. Builder 3.1 wizard is inherently different than the out-of-the-box Flex Viewer 3.1?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
GIS Dev,

The Original Poster (op) states that he created a custom widget and then
now I would like to include the above widget into ArcGIS Viewer for Flex Application Builder 3.1.
. If he has developed a widget that has to be added as a UI Element widget than it is not going to work in App Builder. But yes as you stated he can manually add the widget using the steps you provided. I believe that because the op stated he was attempting to ready his widget for App Builder that he was responding to Sarthaks responce when he said
I have followed the above steps but no luck. could you please suggest me another alternate.
0 Kudos
SarthakDatt
Uday,

Just wanted to confirm if you have looked at: Managing custom widgets

From the previous link I mentioned-"Starting with version 3.0, it is possible to add and remove custom widgets from application builder. A dialog box is provided to make adding and removing custom widgets as simple as the click of a button. For more information on adding custom widgets into application builder, see Manage custom widgets."
0 Kudos
Udaya_BhaskerCheerala
New Contributor
Dear Sarthak Datt,

I have followed the same steps as mentioned in "Managing custom widgets", Widget is added sucessfully in App Builder. But when I click on widget (in app builder preview) it is not functioning.

Thanks,
Uday

Uday,

Just wanted to confirm if you have looked at: Managing custom widgets

From the previous link I mentioned-"Starting with version 3.0, it is possible to add and remove custom widgets from application builder. A dialog box is provided to make adding and removing custom widgets as simple as the click of a button. For more information on adding custom widgets into application builder, see Manage custom widgets."
0 Kudos