Identify 2.1.6

10-26-2010 09:50 AM
JoshuaCoates
New Contributor
I have added this identify widget to my map. I have added the widget to the widget container, compiled it and added my changes to the identifywidget.xml. My problem is when I use the widget and click something....it displays the result box with the layer it is pulling from and it also shows the field, however, there are no values?! Also, when the application first opens, the identify widget automatically open by default. Where do I change this to where it will not auto-launch the widget?!

Thanks,
Josh C.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JoshuaCoates
New Contributor
Here is my xml for reference. Also, for the <fields>DO I USE THE NAME OF THE FIELD OR THE ALIAS?</fields>

<layer>
   <name>Address</name>
   <fields>FIRSTNAME,LASTNAME,ADDRESS,STREETNO,STREET,CITY,STATE,ZIP</fields>
   <linkfield></linkfield>
   <linkprefix></linkprefix>
   <linksuffix></linksuffix>
   <iconfield></iconfield>
   <iconprefix></iconprefix>
   <iconsuffix></iconsuffix>
   <zoomscale>15000</zoomscale>
   <forcescale>true</forcescale>
0 Kudos
JasonNielsen
Occasional Contributor
To fix the identify from loading up on the start of the application just delete the following text highlighted in red from the config.xml file.

<widget label="Identify" left="330" top="80" preload="open"                
                icon="assets/images/i_info.png"
                config="widgets/Identify/IdentifyWidget.xml"
                url="widgets/Identify/IdentifyWidget.swf"/>

To answer your second question on do you use Field names or Aliases for the identifyWidget.xml I use the Alias for the fields and it seems to work fine for me. 🙂
0 Kudos
MarshallPlants
New Contributor
Use the aliases and it's also case sensitive.
0 Kudos
DonaldWasson
New Contributor II
Can someone please elaborate on how to use the alias instead of the field names with the identify tool.  I have not been able to use the alias in the fields list of the identify tool with any success at this time.  For example when I place the field names of an sde feature class between the identify field tags the identify tool works but when I change the field names to the field aliases the tool does not work only the alias names appear in the identify window.  From this post I can read that some users have successfully used the alias so maybe one of them can add an example to this thread on how to use the field alias names with the identify tool.  Can someone please help?  Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
EmilyLaMunyon
Occasional Contributor
Did you ever figure this out, I am having the same issue?

Emily
0 Kudos
DonaldWasson
New Contributor II
Hi Emily

It does work you just put the alias names between the field tags and use comas to separte them as the other users have reported.   There is just one tricky part regarding alias names that I have seen in other situations within the ESRI core products.  You bascially have to refreshes your map document layers and maybe even refresh your map services if you create or modify your alias after you set up your widget which is what I had done.  Make sure you can see your alias names in your map document attribute table before you try use the alias names in your widget. Hope this information helps you and others out.  Thanks for posting your question on this thread..  Donald
0 Kudos
NadeemShaukat
New Contributor II
I have added this identify widget to my map. I have added the widget to the widget container, compiled it and added my changes to the identifywidget.xml. My problem is when I use the widget and click something....it displays the result box with the layer it is pulling from and it also shows the field, however, there are no values?! Also, when the application first opens, the identify widget automatically open by default. Where do I change this to where it will not auto-launch the widget?!

Thanks,
Josh C.

Robert did a great job enhancing these widgets but sometimes things do not work because we miss a point in implementing them.

I also installed this widget, compiled and tried to use the Find tool but no results were returned. I get the message on the Widget Panel "Identify operation is not supported on this service", though Query and Find operations work fine.

Following is the Layer blocks in my xml. Everything else is same as in the original xml.
                            <layer>
   <name>Water Quality Sampling Locations</name>
   <fields>StationID,Project,Status,StreamName</fields>
   <linkfield></linkfield>
   <iconfield></iconfield>
  </layer>

nshaukat
0 Kudos
NadeemShaukat
New Contributor II
Robert did a great job enhancing these widgets but sometimes things do not work because we miss a point in implementing them.

I also installed this widget, compiled and tried to use the Find tool but no results were returned. I get the message on the Widget Panel "Identify operation is not supported on this service", though Query and Find operations work fine.

Following is the Layer blocks in my xml. Everything else is same as in the original xml.
                            <layer>
   <name>Water Quality Sampling Locations</name>
   <fields>StationID,Project,Status,StreamName</fields>
   <linkfield></linkfield>
   <iconfield></iconfield>
  </layer>

nshaukat

I have figured it out myself. The value in the <name> tag is not the same as label value in the operational layer. It's the exact name of the feature class in the service.

nshaukat
0 Kudos
AaronWeier
Occasional Contributor
love the tool, thanks for sharing!

it works great for a single hyperlink, i'm curious if it supports multiple hyperlinks?

i've tried hacking it but i'm not a flex dev and i don't fully know what i'm doing.

I tried adding another 'layer' to the 'layers' section but that didn't work...

any thoughts or working code examples are very much appreciated!

AW
0 Kudos