Issue with TOC widget in 3.1

07-18-2014 10:49 AM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

I'm using flex viewer 3.1 (I had to revert to an older version to get each widget I am using to work) and am having an issue that seems to come from Robert's TOC widget (3.1.5), or at least something else affecting it.

If I have the widget set to preload, occasionally it will seemingly freeze up during load and be blank.  The map layers then do not load either.  This forces the user to refresh, which usually clears it up.  I have since changed things to have the widget not preload, however (again, occasionally) when opening the widget it sometimes comes up blank and forces a refresh in order to turn on/off layers.

I can't figure out what is going on with it or why it is only occasionally.

I found this thread which led to a change that I applied but I'm not certain that it is the same issue or not.  I haven't had enough time to see if that truly helps or not so I wanted to see if anyone knows if this is definitely the solution, and if not, what is?

thanks! !

0 Kudos
12 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

I can not tell you for sure that this is your issue but considering that there was no code changes from version 3.1.5 through 3.3 on my end I would say it is likely to resolve your issue.

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

Turns out the issue is still happening.  Anyone have any other ideas?

In the meantime I'll have to try out some other TOC options like the OOTB one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate your response.

It just sucks that I have to go with the OOTB legend and layer list.  Now that I added them I remember why I don't like them.  Your TOC combined the two and honored the layer structure (expanded or collapsed).  Of course, I'm not even sure this will solve the problem anyway.  I'll have to try it for awhile and see what happens.

If you happen to have any ideas on what could be going wrong, let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

What other widget are you using that are keeping you at 3.1?

0 Kudos
MattPohl
Occasional Contributor II

Eric,

I too was experiencing this problem. I never did find a reason for it, but I understand your frustration. The problem resolved itself when moving to 3.5 and is still be resolved at 3.6. So, like Robert asked... what widget/s are keeping you at 3.1? An attempt to move that widget/s to a 3.6 environment will solve your original problem. I know its not the answer you are looking for, just thought I would confirm the same issue.

0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor

The PchPrintWidget is the major factor.  We find it to be a necessity.  It was no longer updated after 3.0 (works at 3.1 too) but it has a few issues in 3.6.  Selections obscure labels on the prints and popups cease to work after opening the widget.  I was unable to solve these issues on my own so I went back to an older version.  I settled on 3.1 because everything (until I found this current issue) that I use worked.

Setting up 3.5 would be a ton of work (customizations on some widgets and such) and I have no idea if I'll have the same print issues or not....but I'll keep this in mind for a rainy day.

thanks

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Eric,

Probably any other widget and I might have been able to help you get it up to date...

0 Kudos
TracyArchibald
Occasional Contributor

By default, is the TOC open?  Is it possible to load your map with it closed?  The TOC could be trying to load, but the map isn't ready causing it to all flip out...

Another thing to look into, do you have enought instances of your services avaialbe?  When we upped the number of instances on a few services, we found several of these kinds of issues went away.  We picked the ones that had the max number of instances in use and upped them to 5 (maybe a quarter of the services).  There were a couple we needed to do 10.

0 Kudos