Issues when upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1 using Application Builder

Jump to solution
02-01-2013 07:46 AM
GeorgeHaskett
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

I recently started upgrading some mapping applications to the new 3.1 formate, however I keep getting the following error with one of the maps.

Application upgrade failed: Cannot move C:\Data\Website\flexviewers\MCPD_beta. Please make sure no files are open.

Any clues as to why?

The original map was built with the application builder, then modified outside of the software with XML Notepad.

Haskett
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GeorgeHaskett
Update:

It appears that the complications were due to me modifing the xml files after having created the map in the app builder.

Will be interesting to see if that continues to be the case with future upgrades.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GeorgeHaskett
Update:

It appears that the complications were due to me modifing the xml files after having created the map in the app builder.

Will be interesting to see if that continues to be the case with future upgrades.
0 Kudos
deleted-user-OvQ2biYmIWQS
New Contributor II
Update:

I am upgrading from 3.4 to 3.5 and am having the same errors due to modifying the xml files as well.  My work around was to duplicate the application, which then upgraded it. Deleted the one that would not upgrade and then renamed the duplicated one back to it's original one.  So far I have not run into any issues with it yet.
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
I am about to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5. I have not done any upgrades with the Application Builder previously. Do you all know if there is any documentation about the process? Is it basically just download the new Application Builder and it will walk me through the process? I will upgrading on my live, production server so I am a bit nervous.

I have edited some xml files outside of the Application Builder as well. When you say you duplicated the application as a work around, do you mean you recreated it and reconfigured all the widgets in the new Application Builder?

If you have any other general advice on upgrading with the Application Builder I would appreciate the input. Thanks!
0 Kudos
GeorgeHaskett
Lisa,

It sounds like Ntakeichi is doing something similar to what I do.

First make a copy of your map folder, for example I have a map named MCPD located here:

http://ags.giscenter.isu.edu/flexviewers/mcpd/

If I were to update this map, I would copy the mcpd folder and rename it to say mcpd_v35.  That way I will not mess up the current production map.

Download the new 3.5 version of the App Builder along with any new 3.5 versions of any enhanced widgets you might be using. 

From 3.4 to 3.5 you can install ontop of the previous, however I don't know if you can or not going all the way back to 3.1.  Either way your maps should be okay as long as you don't alter them.

Once the new Application builder has been installed and you have renamed a copy of your map folder.  Go ahead an open the Application builder, click on the icon on the right hand side and select the upgrade option.  If it successfully upgrades from 3.1 to 3.5 then the next step would be to upgrade all the enhanced widget files, minus the .xml files.  Once that is done, start going through all the widgets xmls and make necessary changes based upon the whats new documentation, etc.  It may be good to go through and read the tag references and make sure all your xml code is still good.

Once you verify that then newly updated map application works, then you can rename the original and then rename the newly updated folder back to the original name.  In my example it would be mcpd to mcpd_v35 then back to mcpd.

Hope that helps.  I just upgraded from 3.4 to 3.5 without any issues.  It can get tricky when you jump so far...
0 Kudos
LisaArnold
New Contributor II
Thanks a ton, this is very helpful guidance. I followed your guidelines and had no trouble upgrading right from 3.1 to 3.5.
0 Kudos