Map Rotation

05-25-2011 09:20 AM
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Is there any way to rotate a map in flex viewer? It's one of the biggest reasons people don't like to use web maps at my place of work. Last I heard the answer was "no" but that was a while ago so I was just wondering if any one knows if it is available now, if there is plans to implement it eventually, if there is some round about "hackish" kind of way to get this done, etc...

Or if it is possible to do this with the Flex API...

Thank you.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
Sorry to double post, but this is kind of important to me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
0 Kudos
LarryJahn
Occasional Contributor
Do you mean having a dynamic map rotation tool within flex map or having the map permenently rotated?

If you are talking about a permanently rotated map, perhaps this is an option:

Rotate the data frame in your MXD and publish it to ArcServer - the data frame rotation will be preserved.  However, I'm not sure if you can rotate the ESRI basemaps.  If the ESRI basemaps can't be rotated, you could create your own basemap (rotate it to the same angle as your operational layer)?
0 Kudos
RandellMcGlynn
New Contributor
When I try to cache a base map doing it this way it comes in looking all weird. It'll take the map cut off some areas, and I'll have duplicate tiles somewhere completely different on the map.

Any idea what causes this?

Thanks.

**EDIT**

I would also like to mention that the map displays perfectly when I used it as a dynamic base map. It seems as though when I cache it is distorts everything.
0 Kudos