Search Widget symbols for point features

03-28-2014 10:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: t.aldridge

I'm trying to change the default symbol for search results on the search widget from the default binoculars to a circle or diamond. I change the html code but it doesnt affect the symbol. What am I doing wrong?[ATTACH=CONFIG]32606[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rscheitlin

Trent,

I have moved this thread to the proper forum "ArcGIS Viewer for Flex" vs. "ArcGIS API for Flex" where you had it.

You will see in the documentation that you need to have the symbol element as a child to a layer element, if you are trying to symbolize that one layer specifically. If you are trying to set the default symbology for all layers than the symbol element has to be the child of a symbols element.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/01m3/01m300000023000000.htm

<layer>
      <name>Census Block Points</name>
      <symbol>
         <simplemarkersymbol color="0x0099ff" size="40" style="triangle"/>
      </symbol>
   </layer>
0 Kudos
TrentAldridge
New Contributor
Trent,

I have moved this thread to the proper forum "ArcGIS Viewer for Flex" vs. "ArcGIS API for Flex" where you had it.

You will see in the documentation that you need to have the symbol element as a child to a layer element, if you are trying to symbolize that one layer specifically. If you are trying to set the default symbology for all layers than the symbol element has to be the child of a symbols element.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/01m3/01m300000023000000.htm

<layer>
      <symbol>
      </symbol>
   </layer>

Thanks for the response.... I am new to this whole html and code stuff so could you please explain the child tag and all to me please?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Trent,

OK so here is some basic XML 101 stuff (you can find much more by Googling).

In this example code:
   <layer>
      <symbol>
      </symbol>
   </layer>

layer is considered the parent elment and name and symbol are children of the layer parent. The parent sibling relationship is seen by the fact that the child element is nested inside of the parent element.

Hopr that helps
0 Kudos