Trouble creating a new FlexViewer instance.

05-08-2012 04:14 PM
SeanCook
New Contributor
Hello all, I am having some trouble creating a new Flexviewer instance, and I am not sure why. My guess is that I am missing something straightforward. I possibly have two problems.

A. I CAN create a v.2.5 Flexviewer on my C: drive.

B. I Cannot create a v.3.0 Flexviewer on my C: drive. I get an error on trying to run it stating:

"File not found: file:/C:/Users/228972/Adobe%20Flash%20Builder%204.5/TestViewer/bin-debug/index.html"

C. I cannot create either on my network drive, where I would like to have it. When I click to import, it does not ask me which SDK version I would like to use. It fails to add the new viewer to the Package Explorer, and puts a subset of the files into the appropriate folder, but not all of them. It leaves out the folders .settings and bin-debug.

Any help is much appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Sean,

There are a couple of ways you could do this but try following these steps:

1. Extract flexviewer-3.0pr-src.zip to some location on your HD (i.e. C:\Flex_Stuff)

2. Once unzipped you will end up with a folder like 'ArcGIS-ArcGISViewerForFlex-16b7ba8' in your destination you choose in step 1.

3. open that folder and locate the .project folder and right click it and choose open with > notepad.exe

4. change the <name> tag from FlexViewer to FlexViewer3.0pr and save the file.

5. now rename the 'ArcGIS-ArcGISViewerForFlex-16b7ba8' folder to 'flexviewer-3.0pr'

6. copy the whole 'flexviewer-3.0pr' folder to your 'C:/Users/228972/Adobe Flash Builder 4.5/' location

7. In Flash Builder go to the file menu and choose 'Import Flash Builder Project...' switch to Project folder and browse to 'C:/Users/228972/Adobe Flash Builder 4.5/flexviewer-3.0pr'

8. Click Finish

9. Add the agslib-3.0pre-2012-03-15.swc to the libs folder.

Don't forget to click the Mark as answer check on this post and to click the top arrow (promote).
Follow the steps as shown in the below graphic:
0 Kudos
SeanCook
New Contributor
Tried that out and got the same error:

File not found: file:/C:/Users/228972/Adobe%20Flash%20Builder%204.5/flexviewer-3.0pr/bin-debug/index.html

That does create the bin-debug folder properly, but no index.html for some reason. Is index.html created on import or when you first compile the project? Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Sean,

It should get created in the bin-debug when you run the app. You need to check you problems window to see if there is some build issue listed there.
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Sean,

I have had instances before where my project will not launch and it complains about the index.html. I fixed the issue by performing a clean build, see below from adobe's website:

Performing a clean build
After a project has been built, subsequent builds affect only the resources that have been added or modified. To force the Flex Builder compiler to rebuild all resources in a project, you can perform a clean build. You might perform a clean build if, for example, you want to eliminate all potential sources of a problem you encountered when testing your application.

1.Select Project > Clean from the main menu.
2.Select the project (or projects) whose build files you want to discard and rebuild from scratch.
3.Click OK.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos