Web Maps with CSV Operational Layers not supported?

10-31-2012 10:27 AM
MapEnglish
Occasional Contributor
Hi:

This webmap has an operational layer that points to a csv file on a web server:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=abc34ec59ee44df59be59850700e6592

If above url is truncated, itemid is: abc34ec59ee44df59be59850700e6592

The ArcGIS Viewer for Flex 3.0 does not appear to recognize the layer. Can you confirm that this is by design or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matt English
Esri Canada
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
This webmap has an operational layer that points to a csv file on a web server:

Hi Matt,
Support for CSV (on a web server) both in web maps and as an operational layer will be part of 3.1.
0 Kudos
MapEnglish
Occasional Contributor
When can we expect 3.1?
Cheers, Matt
0 Kudos
AaronNash1
Occasional Contributor II
I had a similar issue and what I did was to write a phython script to change the CSV to a shapefile and then published a webservice hitting the shapefile. I wrote the script pretty quick and didn't have time to set anything up in SDE, but I used windows scheduler to run the script every 5 minutes and then added an auto refresh on the dynamic web service in the flexviewer. The end result was one server sending the current calls out of the police dispatch system as a CSV file every 5 minutes, and then my computer translating the CSV file to a shapefile and then consuming the data in a web service. So whoever was access the webpage saw all the current open calls related to Hurricane Sandy and it was updated every 5 minutes. Let me know if you are interested I can updoad the script
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
You didn't say if you wanted it to load dynamically, or if you wanted the capability to add a csv file to the map.

Not exactly what you are after, but he AddExcel widget will let you add an xls file to the current map:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b8d2f6a9063e44669eddfdd2d32244e8

pretty easy to convert a csv to xls.

R_
0 Kudos
LaurynasGedminas
New Contributor
I would like to See that script Aaron.
I did similar thing with Bouy data, downloading txt file, making shp file, and loading it to SDE
Thanks,
0 Kudos
AaronNash1
attached is the python script
0 Kudos
NolanAlbarelli
New Contributor III

Hey Aaron,

I dont see anywhere in the code where it is republishing the service....

didnt you say that it did that?

0 Kudos
AaronNash1

Hi Nolan,

the script does not need to republish the webservice. All the script has to do is update the shapefile, the refresh in the Flexviewer is what is refreshing the content on the end users screen so they are looking at the most recent content

Aaron

0 Kudos
NolanAlbarelli
New Contributor III

In my experience, when i "publish a webservice that hits the shapefile," all of that data behind the shapefile (in the dbf) is cached.

In other words, if I publish a shapefile as a service and consume that with my flex viewer, the data behind the shapefile is merely stored with i share/publish.  So if I go into arcmap and update that shapefile and save it, nothing changes to the actual rest service im pulling into the viewer.  The service isnt automatically updated. I need to share (republish) that shapefile to overwrite the current service.

You must know how to do something i do not...

0 Kudos