Will Compiled FlexViewer web apps Version 2.5 work on ArcGIS Server 10.1?

Jump to solution
03-26-2013 08:07 AM
JanieGoddard
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,
  We are researching if we can go to ArcGIS Server 10.1 and our compiled version 2.5 FlexViewer apps will work? We weren't sure if we have to go to compiled Flexviewer 3.1 first on our web apps?
  We currently have ArcGIS Server 10.0, SQL 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 R2 standard with IIS7.
Thanks,
Janie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Janie,

2.5 will work fine against a 10.1 server, you will just not take advantage of the new enhancements that have been developed with the latest API.

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Janie,

2.5 will work fine against a 10.1 server, you will just not take advantage of the new enhancements that have been developed with the latest API.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
Thanks so much for the response!
The one hour webinar last week was really helpful.
I'll start on the videos it mentioned about the installation and configuring.
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/06/20/new-videos-walk-you-through-arcgis-10-1-for-server/

Thanks,
Janie
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
I want the up arrow to say you answer was very helpful. I hovered over the arrows to see the options and it took the bottom one.
0 Kudos
JanieGoddard
The only thing we have hit so far on Flex Viewer 2.5 running against ArcGIS Server 10.1 is related to security. When we secured a web service, the Flex Viewer 2.5 application presented the black box about the web service layer not being available. My Flex Viewer 3.0 presented the sign on box for the secured layer. Just an FYI that you will need to upgrade to at least Flex Viewer 3.0, if you want to start securing your web services.

Here is the link to a free ESRI one hour presentation on setting up your security on your web services, users, and roles.
Security Basics in 10.1: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseID=2596

Hope this helps!
Janie
0 Kudos
GISDev1
The only thing we have hit so far on Flex Viewer 2.5 running against ArcGIS Server 10.1 is related to security. When we secured a web service, the Flex Viewer 2.5 application presented the black box about the web service layer not being available. My Flex Viewer 3.0 presented the sign on box for the secured layer. Just an FYI that you will need to upgrade to at least Flex Viewer 3.0, if you want to start securing your web services.

Here is the link to a free ESRI one hour presentation on setting up your security on your web services, users, and roles.
Security Basics in 10.1: http://training.esri.com/gateway/index.cfm?fa=catalog.webCourseDetail&courseID=2596

Hope this helps!
Janie

Not really, though. Of course I don't recommend using anything but the latest release, but you can still use secured services before Flex API 3.0 with tokens. At 3.0, the sign-in manager was released which streamlines logging in for on-the-fly authentication.
0 Kudos