Intializing is extremely slow - anyway to speed it up?

04-12-2013 07:28 AM
KarenEllett
Occasional Contributor
I have several silverlight applications that open up very reasonably on the desktop.  We have some people who access them from the field, however, and it may take 10 minutes or more for it to initialize when they open it the first time.  I understand that of course we are subject to connectivity (accessing using verizon hotspots) but even in metro areas of 4G coverage, where it should be fantastic coverage, they are getting 10 minute times or longer just to open the application.  Is there anything I can try on my end to speed this up?  I have set scale dependencies on all layers, so they don't turn on until you are extremely close in, etc.  I am using Bing Roads (not imagery) as a basemap using their token, so I don't know if that also slows it down, vs the default ESRI basemap.

Any ideas would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Without analyzing your system I would say to much data.

Look at your individual feature services in your my content folder.  If you have anything over 3 mb it could be an issue. Remember it is trying stuff all that data thought the 4G.

Determine if any layers are useless and try to remove them.  remove as many joins or relationships as possible, if not completely.  strip it down to as bare bones as possible.

I have several silverlight applications that open up very reasonably on the desktop.  We have some people who access them from the field, however, and it may take 10 minutes or more for it to initialize when they open it the first time.  I understand that of course we are subject to connectivity (accessing using verizon hotspots) but even in metro areas of 4G coverage, where it should be fantastic coverage, they are getting 10 minute times or longer just to open the application.  Is there anything I can try on my end to speed this up?  I have set scale dependencies on all layers, so they don't turn on until you are extremely close in, etc.  I am using Bing Roads (not imagery) as a basemap using their token, so I don't know if that also slows it down, vs the default ESRI basemap.

Any ideas would be really, really appreciated.

Thanks!
0 Kudos