Labels

02-09-2012 05:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: diegollamas

Hi

In my layers in ArcMap I turn on the labels. I publish this MXD to my server, but when I put this layer in my map in Silverlight Viewer I can't see my Labels, How could I see the labels in Silverlight viewer, are the labels supported? and i can't see my Annotation either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11837[/ATTACH] in Silverlight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11836[/ATTACH] MXD
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: koeh0017

You are bringing in individual layers rather than the whole map service. Individual layers get rendered on the client as "feature layers". They do no support labeling. When adding services to your map you must use the root map service layer in order to have labels.

Review the documentation on the different layer types- http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/silverlightviewer/help/index.html#//017700000025000000
0 Kudos
DiegoLlamas
Esri Contributor
You are bringing in individual layers rather than the whole map service. Individual layers get rendered on the client as "feature layers". They do no support labeling. When adding services to your map you must use the root map service layer in order to have labels.

Review the documentation on the different layer types- http://help.arcgis.com/en/webapps/silverlightviewer/help/index.html#//017700000025000000

Thanks, it worked
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: andrewhayden

When you use the root map service layer, as best I can tell you can't edit a feature layer contained therein.  If you add the feature layer you can edit it, but not label it.  What's the best approach for labeling the features I want to also be able to edit?
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Andrew,

You could add both the Map service and the Feature layers, but of course you would have duplicate features on the map. Another solution might be to create a separate map service that only has the labels. This way you could add both the map service and the feature layers but not duplicate the features.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: markus.niederoest

With all respect, this seems to me rather poor architecture or design (feature layers don't support labeling) that using labels requires multiple map services just for a single web application.

Let's say we have countries, regions and subregions that should be displayed or not. I would then need 3 additional map services to enable labels for those 3 polygon layers? Which would make a total of 4?

Makes me expect the number of map services needed explode exponentially.

Or did I get something wrong?
0 Kudos
RyanKoehnen
New Contributor III
With all respect, this seems to me rather poor architecture or design (feature layers don't support labeling) that using labels requires multiple map services just for a single web application.

Let's say we have countries, regions and subregions that should be displayed or not. I would then need 3 additional map services to enable labels for those 3 polygon layers? Which would make a total of 4?

Makes me expect the number of map services needed explode exponentially.

Or did I get something wrong?

I can't defend esri's design choices, but maybe think about it this way. Labels for map layers are rendered on server along with the geometry by the server's labeling engine. The whole thing is then transmitted to the client as an image. For feature layers, the geometry coordinates are transmitted to the client and then the geometries are rendered as vector graphics in client's browser, not on the server.  Esri would have had to write a complete client side dynamic labeling engine for silverlight, flex and javascript for feature layers to have labels. On top of that, feature layers can really slow down a clients computer. Adding the computation to generate dynamic labels would make it worse.

I agree it's frustrating. We had the same debate amongst our team. But, it's a necessary trade off if you choose to use feature layers.
0 Kudos