Viewer install issue on XP machine

Jump to solution
01-31-2012 08:31 AM
jayshukla
New Contributor III
Hi There,
I am trying to install new viewer and I have an already installed BETA on this Windows XP machine. From Control panel, uninstall asks me to unintsall previous version. When I try to uninstall previous version , it prompts me for Setup.msi.

I am looking for some feedback if someone had similar issues and if there is workaround to this problem.

Thanks
jay
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WilburHughes
Esri Contributor
Jay,
Perform the actions below to remove the software and install the latest version.

Manual Removal Instructions:
---------------------------------
1. Delete registry keys
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER  Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Silverlight Viewer
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{D3DC8552-2579-45C0-BD02-A0C1C64B1181}
2. Remove web site in IIS
      Builder
3. Delete folder on disk.
      C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Builder

Run ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight v1.0.1 setup.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WilburHughes
Esri Contributor
To uninstall the software, because system cleanup has removed the existing msi or the file is missing, then do these steps.
1. Run the original beta2 setup and when the dialog is displayed copy the setup.msi file from the temporary folder.
     The temporary folder can be displayed by typing %TEMP% in the Start -> Run command or My Computer address bar.
     (Temporary Folder: C:\Documents and Setting\<Login Username>\Local Setttings\Temp)
2. Copy the setup.msi file from Temporary folder sub-folder {D3DC8552-2579-45C0-BD02-A0C1C64B1181} to your My Documents folder:
     %TEMP%\{D3DC8552-2579-45C0-BD02-A0C1C64B1181}\Setup.msi
3. Open a DOS window to uninstall the software.  To display a DOS window type cmd in the Start -> Run command.
    In DOS windows run command: msiexec /X "c:\Documents and Settings\wilbur\My Documents\Setup.msi"
0 Kudos
jayshukla
New Contributor III
Hi Wilbur,
Thanks for your feedback, I got completely sidetracked on some other tasks. Finally got a chance to work on this issue. I tried the steps you suggested but the problem still persists. I have attached the error message that I have received. I have attached the error messages that I am getting.

Appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
jay
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jay,

Did you ever get this sorted out? The workaround might involve editing/removing registry keys.

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
WilburHughes
Esri Contributor
Jay,
Perform the actions below to remove the software and install the latest version.

Manual Removal Instructions:
---------------------------------
1. Delete registry keys
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER  Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Silverlight Viewer
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{D3DC8552-2579-45C0-BD02-A0C1C64B1181}
2. Remove web site in IIS
      Builder
3. Delete folder on disk.
      C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Builder

Run ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight v1.0.1 setup.
0 Kudos
jayshukla
New Contributor III
Great, these steps did allow me to update latest version of the Viewer successfully. 
Thanks
Jay
0 Kudos