Why can't I see downloaded layout under the layout option in Silverlight Viewer?

02-11-2013 11:40 AM
San_Mateo_CountyGIS
New Contributor II
Hi,

I downloaded the Floating Title Layout from here:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=f0fe8fb1b0144ac091e0703b8eade9b5
and followed the deployment instructions. I can see the xaml and the png in the right folder with all the other default layout options that came with the viewer, but I cannot see the  Floating Title Layout in the 'change layout' in the browser.

It is not a matter of cleaning cache, and I checked on both IE and FF.

Viewer version is 3.1

Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi,

You'll also need to update the Layouts.xml file in \inetpub\wwwroot\Builder\Templates\Default\Config\Layouts. Here is the xml to add:

<Layout DisplayName="FloatingTitle"
File="Config/Layouts/FloatingTitle.xaml"
PreviewImage="Config/Layouts/FloatingTitle.png" />

Note that you may need to open Notepad with Administrative privileges in order to make updates to that file. Once you've added the xml to the Layouts.xml file, clear your browser cache and the layout should be available.

Hope that helps,
Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
San_Mateo_CountyGIS
New Contributor II
Katy,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your directions but things didn't work out as expected.
First, I could not see the new layouts (I added two) under the �??change layouts�?? on an existing application. I could only see them on the list when I created a new application.
Then twothings happened;  I could not see the picture of these layouts when browsing over the �??change layouts�?? list, and when I clicked OK a login window appeared asking me to login to my active directory services, and did not accept my password.
I have administrative privileges. I tried to unlock the files and the png and also to restart IIS but nothing works.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ayelet
0 Kudos
KatherineDalton
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Ayelet,

Yes, the instructions I gave you were for the files that create new applications, not for existing applications. The process is very much the same, though, for updating the layouts available in existing applications. Navigate to your app in the Apps folder: "inetpub\wwwroot\Apps\<app name>\Config\Layouts. In this folder, follow the same process as detailed above.

As for the privileges issue you are seeing, I haven't seen that before so I'm unsure of the cause. Can you try in a different browser such as IE?

Katy
Katy Dalton | Technical Consultant
THE SCIENCE OF WHERE™
0 Kudos
San_Mateo_CountyGIS
New Contributor II
Katy,

It happened on IE8. FF required authentication as well. I normaly use SL with IE as the plugin-container.exe process in FF slows my machine.

I added the new layout to an existing app and it worked OK.

Thanks
0 Kudos