How to aggregate multiple layers into themes

Jump to solution
09-06-2016 05:22 PM
StephenLead
Regular Contributor III

County of Simcoe have a nice interactive map based on ArcGIS Web AppBuilder, at https://maps.simcoe.ca/Public/

This application contains functionality I haven't seen before in a WAB map - it aggregates layers into "themes", allowing the user to change the contents of the map with a single click:

enter image description here

Is this function provided by an existing WAB widget, or is this something that Simcoe have written from scratch?

(Note that the "themes" in this case don't refer to styling of the application, but to grouping similar layers together. Eg viewing the Local Real Estate "theme" changes the map's layers to only show real estate).

I can think of a few different ways to approach this, but I don't want to waste time if an existing widget already handles it.

(I asked this question elsewhere within Geonet but I'm trying again in the main WAB section as I didn't get any responses)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Drew
by
Occasional Contributor III

Ya, That email may take a bit to come my way. How did you even find that site (gisportal.simcoe)? Its not linked really anywhere. Most of our users go to maps.simcoe.ca 

We have had a lot of people ask the same question.. how long...?

Its a hard answer because its a living and breathing solution for us. We have many other sites internally based off the same code base but with different tools and map themes..  There is no exact number.. but to put it into perspective its been in development for more than a year but during that time we maintain our existing GIS and customer requests.

Drew

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

App Theme = A skin that the WAB allows you to create to modify the look and feel of the application

All the widgets (except the print) on the website are custom and designed to fit our needs.

You mentioned WAB in a previous post, but also.that it is all custom...Do you mean the Web AppBuilder  or  ( pure ??) Javascript.  Even if it is highly customizable widgets and themes for Web Appbuilder, might be helpful for others if it's anything that can be written or packaged up for others to learn.  Maybe a blog or document?  

Drew
by

Rebecca,

It's all built using the WAB framework, but all the widgets (on screen and in panel) are custom.
We do get a lot of inquires about how certain things are done and how long it has taken and we have discussed writing something up to explain some of the functionality. Hopefully someday soon.

Drew

Allison_Laforet__Charko
New Contributor III

Great job you guys! It was great working with you in college and now great to see your hard work paying off! Love the interactive map. Looks great!

Drew
by

Thanks Allison - Hope all is well with you!

Drew

0 Kudos