Print widget in web app no longer consistently embeds font ArialUnicodeMS into pdf

07-12-2022 05:32 PM
AnitaB
by
New Contributor II

hi all,  it looks like in the past week or so I can no longer consistently create a pdf in my web app.  The attached examples (chrome_test1.pdf and chrome_test2.pdf) were run seconds apart.  I used all default settings both times, not altering the configuration in any way. 

When I open the pdfs directly from the widget's list of pdfs while still in Chrome, I can see that the map for chrome_test1.pdf did not print to pdf successfully -- the title font is a bit wonky 

When I download the pdfs and open them in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, Chrome_test1.pdf gives me an error message "Cannot find or create the font 'Arial UnicodeMS".  Some characters may not display or print correctly".  Chrome_test2.pdf opens up just fine.

I checked File > Properties > Fonts from Adobe for Chrome_test1.pdf and, yes, there is no "embedded" for this font.    (screen shots attached - chrome_test1_fonts.png vs chrome_test2_fonts.png)

I generated a report (chrome_test1_report.pdf) which confirms the error message.

I can replicate this inconsistent print  widget issue with Edge as well.  The app was created using the Web AppBuilder Launchpad theme.

I'm wondering if something font-related changed recently in AGOL, or the web app environment.   

Thanks for any and all feedback!

4 Replies
NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Anita - I just ran into this issue today.  I had created an App (Foldable Theme) and was setting it up for Tabloid Landscape printing output by default.  I receive the embedded font error message from Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit) when I try to edit the output .pdf.  I switched over to the Dart Theme (same App) and it embeds the ArialUnicodeMS font as expected.  Not sure what has changed, as this hasn't been an issue until now (for me at least).  

-Nick 

0 Kudos
AnitaB
by
New Contributor II

NIck, thanks so much for the feedback.  I ran an experiment, converting my app to the Dart Theme.  Of 5 maps I generated back-to-back in the Print widget, 2 are missing the embedded font, 3 pdfs are fine.  Rats!  

For general info to those who read my initial post:

1)  I reproduced this error using my app on another user's laptop, 2) I reproduced this error on yet another user's laptop where there was no local install of Arc products, and 3) I reproduced this error on my laptop using someone else's app configured with the Foldable Theme.  

no luck.

The print widget has very few settings to configure.   

Aside from a custom title and author, the format is set to: PDF ; The layout is set to "letter ANSI A landscape"; and  I am using the default service URL:

https://utility.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%20Web%... 

thanks all! - Anita

AnitaB
by
New Contributor II

Doing enough searching on the internet yields this answer.  

apparently Microsoft 365/Windows 10 does not include ArialUnicodeMS.  Older versions of Windows had this font.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/arial-unicode-ms-font-missing/3d389ec7-dfaa-4... 

on the side, I did this test:

1. I was able to get the font file ARIALUNI.ttf from someone.  I installed it.
  2. While still viewing the pdf in the browser, I can see the squished T alongside its neighbor.
  3. The downloaded map in Adobe looks fine on my machine with the installed font.  That's something.
  4. HOWEVER, as the font is NOT EMBEDDED when created via the Print Widget, the pdf still fails for anyone with whom I share the pdf.  

I have counseled staff to print to jpg or tiff.  But this will not serve as a longterm solution as pdf format is preferred.

NickHarvey
Occasional Contributor II

Do we log this as a bug?  Or, can ESRI staff advise? 

-Nick 

0 Kudos