Web App changing all recently published or recently edited web app symbology to monochrome values

Jump to solution
07-25-2023 07:41 AM
JennyRobertsAxelrod
New Contributor

Just recently, when I open a web map that's been published and use it in a web app, all the symbology changes to gray monochrome values. All points, lines and polygons. Lines become single thickness, all points become simple circles with different values of gray. All polygons become different values of gray. I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 to create the Web Map and it creates fine. I publish the Web Map and it looks great. But when i use the Web Map in a Web App using Web App Builder it changes to the monochrome. If I open a previously published Web App to edit it, it changes to monochrome. If i use instant apps it doesn't change to monochrome, but I can't add widgets. If I use Experience Builder to create/publish a web app thru Experience Builder it keeps the symbology but the Web App looks different based on the supplied template types. I need to be able to open previously published Web Apps, edit them and then republish without changes. This is causing a great deal of trouble. I have opted to "Use symbol types compatible with all clients" and have tried publishing from Map Viewer Classic as well. I have tried it publishing a Web Map, and publishing only feature services that I planned to add to the already published Web Map and then Web App. All continue to go to monochrome gray. It's as if, when you touch a previously published Web App created in Web App Builder, and save, it changes everything and you cannot go back.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DianaPopp
New Contributor II

Update: 

Opening the web map in ArcGIS Experience Builder preserved all of the symbology (no grey areas). 

From Esri support:
"This is due to a limitation in the JavaScript version used by Web App Builder. Web App Builder older JavaScript version for ArcGIS API. while Experience Builder uses the newer version 4.x. As a result, you were able to see all your symbology on Experience Builder. You will still be able to see your symbology on Map viewer as well."

Hope this is helpful!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BHB_Admin
New Contributor II

Hi Jenny, the exact same thing happened to my web apps when I ran a data update through ArcGIS Pro a few days ago. I believe it might be a bug - hoping to hear a response from Esri on this one soon.

0 Kudos
BHB_Admin
New Contributor II

What is especially odd is that it is not converting every layer on the web app to greyscale, only some:

BHB_Admin_0-1690391658086.png

But again is completely fine on the online map:

BHB_Admin_1-1690391711659.png

0 Kudos
CaitlinOlson
New Contributor III

Having this same issue! Except that I was not doing any editing on the layers. The layer pictured is a newly added layer shared from Pro 3.1.2. I thought about re-uploading the layers that are changing colors, but I foresee that not doing much. This is super annoying and a huge pain.

AGOL_WebAppBuilder_Symbology_Monochrome_Change.jpg

0 Kudos
DianaPopp
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue! 

Yesterday, some (but not all) points and all polygons went grey in Web App Builder and the published Web App. As suggested in a help post, I republished all layers from ArcGIS Pro, being careful to select Share As a Web Layer/Configuration/Configure Parameters/and check the box "Use symbol types compatible with all clients." Despite this considerable effort, Web App Builder will not remember symbology settings. 

Symbology is stable in ArcGIS Pro 3.1.2 and the AGOL Web Map, but once it goes into the Web App Builder, all polygons turn grey. 

Esri, please help! 

0 Kudos
DianaPopp
New Contributor II

Update: 

Opening the web map in ArcGIS Experience Builder preserved all of the symbology (no grey areas). 

From Esri support:
"This is due to a limitation in the JavaScript version used by Web App Builder. Web App Builder older JavaScript version for ArcGIS API. while Experience Builder uses the newer version 4.x. As a result, you were able to see all your symbology on Experience Builder. You will still be able to see your symbology on Map viewer as well."

Hope this is helpful!

0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes that would be the reason, thank you for sharing @DianaPopp 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
LauraPullen
New Contributor II

Can I ask what the solution is here? I have read the thread but cannot identify the solution. I'd like to preserver my symbology (not grey monochrome) and use in Web App Builder app not Experience Builder. Does publishing from an older version of Pro have any effect? 

Ivy_Hinson
New Contributor III

I'm still having this issue. Has anyone found a solution?

HPine_NHDES
New Contributor

I just want to add another voice here.  This is frustrating.  I have been playing with experience builder to get around this issue, but it doesn't have the same widgets such as the group filter.  ESRI, please address.

HPine_NHDES_0-1698770192342.png