Select to view content in your preferred language

Geotagging photos - photos can't be found

Jump to solution
05-04-2023 04:36 AM
StephenPsallidas
New Contributor II

Hi all, I'm a relatively inexperienced ArcGIS user, using version 10.8.2 (not Pro).

I want to display geotagged photos on my map, and have tried to follow Esri's instructions online but am having an issue.

I open the 'Geotagged Photos To Points' tool from the ArcToolbox, and in the dialog box which appears I click the little folder icon next to 'Input Folder'. In the next dialog box I add a 'connection' to the folder where my photos are located, and then... nothing. The dialog box is empty, even though there are dozens of JPGs in that folder. The file type drop-down list only contains one choice called 'Basic Types'. So I can proceed no further.

I've attached a screengrab.

Can anyone help me to specify where my photos are?

Thanks very much,

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It appears as if you have drilled into (opened) the folder.  For this tool, you select the folder the images reside in, not the images themselves.  Need to back up one level and "select" the folder that contains the photos and click "Add".

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It appears as if you have drilled into (opened) the folder.  For this tool, you select the folder the images reside in, not the images themselves.  Need to back up one level and "select" the folder that contains the photos and click "Add".

R_

StephenPsallidas
New Contributor II

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’ve tried ‘adding’ the folder one level higher, using the ‘Add Folder’ button. Several sub-folders then appear, one of which is the one I want, called ‘GEOTAGGED’. But when I open that folder in the dialog box, again it shows as empty. Clicking the 'Add' button anyway, does nothing.

It's all very frustrating!

0 Kudos
StephenPsallidas
New Contributor II

Ah don't worry, I've got it now! What a totally confusing UI!! Thanks again.

0 Kudos