Why the ArcGIS sign-in prompt for World Services?

09-19-2018 08:41 AM
MattGoodman
New Contributor III

I'm running ArcMap 10.5.1 and it, along with the last several version of ArcMap, have a very frustrating behavior when using the "Find" tool or the Geocoding toolbar. Nearly every time I use these tools, I'm only interested in searching against locally stored data. However, whenever I right-click the search box to bring up the context menu so that I can choose to "Pan-to" the match, ArcMap grinds away with a pinwheel for several minutes trying to use the internet connection to establish an organizational login to ArcGIS, for use of the "World Geocoding Service" and "World Routing Service".

Can't that login attempt occur at some point after the user has indicated they wish to use those services!? The average city-government ArcMap user wanting to find and pan the map to a particular property by searching their cadastral data for a parcel ID, or their address point data for an address, is faced with this excruciatingly long wait and warning pop-up for services they have no intention of using.

11 Replies
KarinPierce
New Contributor III

We have been experiencing the same messages running 10.6.1.  After a lengthy conversation with Esri Support, they indicated it is a bug in the Find tool and might be fixed in the future releases.

KimGleason
New Contributor II

Although we are still using 10.4.1 it must be related to same problem. We considered installing 10.6.1 to see if it was better. But I guess we'll wait for the fix.

Thank you for the hope!