ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework - Visual Studio 2012

09-14-2012 12:12 PM
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I am building a new machine with Windows 8 and Visual Studio 2012.

I want to install "ArcObjects SDK for Microsoft .NET Framework" but it refuses to install because it is looking for Visual Studio 2010 (which I don't want to install).

I understand that 10.1 does not yet support Visual Studio 2012 (or Windows 8).  Just wondering if there is some way that I can get this to install without having to install Visual Studio 2010?  I don't really care about the various Visual Studio templates/wizards, i.e. I know that that won't work.

One thing that I could to is to simply XCopy the files from another machine.
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RonaldNatalie
New Contributor II
Can we get a prediction?   We're pretty much screwed here as we already made the leap to 2012 assuming that ESRI wouldn't take over a YEAR to get around to supporting the current Microsoft OS's and development platforms (silly us, I know).   We bailed on the WPF runtimes, just too many bugs and too little functionality.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I really hope that the 10.2 release will also support Visual Studio 2013 out of the box.

This week, Microsoft released the final feature update for Visual Studio 2012 and released the 2013 beta.

If supporting the later Visual Studio is too hard to do rapidly then please just provide the ability to install the libraries and not the Visual Studio integration pieces.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I really hope that the 10.2 release will also support Visual Studio 2013 out of the box.

This week, Microsoft released the final feature update for Visual Studio 2012 and released the 2013 beta.

If supporting the later Visual Studio is too hard to do rapidly then please just provide the ability to install the libraries and not the Visual Studio integration pieces.

ESRI will probably never support a beta version of Visual Studio.  They are almost always a version behind even for final releases.  In part this makes sense.  They do not want their software subject to bugs introduced by the latest Visual Studio version.  After all, they already create enough of their own with their own latest ArcMap version. 😉
0 Kudos
ISSRWEB
New Contributor II
Is there a definitive answer as to whether VS 2012 will ever be supported?
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
The ArcObjects SDK for .NET supports integration with Visual Studio 2012 starting with the 10.2 release. We are also supporting .NET 4.5. .NET 3.5 remains the recommended framework as it is still the prerequisite for the ArcGIS for Desktop or Engine install so it is guaranteed to be installed when you deploy to a machine where Desktop or Engine  is installed.
0 Kudos
NeedHelp
New Contributor
We are working on adding support for Visual Studio 2012. More information about this will be made available in the coming months.

The ArcObjects SDK for .NET supports integration with Visual Studio 2012 starting with the 10.2 release. We are also supporting .NET 4.5. .NET 3.5 remains the recommended framework as it is still the prerequisite for the ArcGIS for Desktop or Engine install so it is guaranteed to be installed when you deploy to a machine where Desktop or Engine  is installed.

9 months in between posts...:mad:
0 Kudos
DavidMarley
Occasional Contributor II
Supporting Visual Studio 2012 starting with version 10.2 is not an acceptable answer. I work on a project for a large Federal client and we are *locked* into using version 10.1 for 3 years.  Esri needs to understand real-world situations where people cannot necessarily always upgrade to the latest version of their software. The answer to these kinds of support issues from Esri is almost always "Next version...." - it's just not acceptable.
likacilikaci
New Contributor
Supporting Visual Studio 2012 starting with version 10.2 is not an acceptable answer. I work on a project for a large Federal client and we are *locked* into using version 10.1 for 3 years.  Esri needs to understand real-world situations where people cannot necessarily always upgrade to the latest version of their software. The answer to these kinds of support issues from Esri is almost always "Next version...." - it's just not acceptable.

does this problem solved ?
i install succeed in win8.1 & vs2012 with AE10.1
http://hi.baidu.com/zoneq6/item/041b421d0bf7a1051894ec00
http://jingyan.baidu.com/article/25648fc1c977f49191fd00c6.html
0 Kudos
KevinMacLeod1
Occasional Contributor III

It's 2014 almost 2015 still the same problem.  If you have a platform with 10.1 is should either work with 2012 or AT LEAST let you install the .NET SDK, and not just fail just because you don't have VS 2010 installed. They should have at minimum released a patch to allow the SDK to install without requiring VS 2010. Our use case, for example, is Windows 8.1 but developing an Add In for Arc 10.1 So it's a catch-22. Classic ESRI. I wish a GIS software competitor would come along and force them to listen to customers.

0 Kudos