Can you use ArcObjects to do simple geoprocessing in a ASP.NET MVC application?

09-22-2017 04:44 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

So I will be creating a web application in .NET. It will have an MVC structure. It's a data entry application where someone will be inputting a bunch of a stuff from a datasheet and we'll suck it into some database tables that are part of an ArcSDE database. Some of this data will be "manufactured" with conditional statements based on what they input into the form, and here is where geoprocessing comes into play. The user will input a piece of information into the form and if it is of a certain value, we will pull spatial data from the database and do some geoprocessing. It'd just be a buffer and an intersect, pretty simple stuff to do using arcpy...but I need to integrate this into .NET somehow. Can you do geoprocessing inside of .NET? Do you have to call out to a python script?

I've read a bunch of stuff on ArcObjects SDK for .NET seems to be all about creating add-ins for desktop applications and that's not what I want to do at all. We're not creating add-ins, we're not creating a end-user web mapping application. I just want to be able to do some geoprocessing in the background, return a value based on the result, and save it to a database table. 

If this is possible, what version of .NET Framework/Core is compatible with ArcObjects SDK for .NET?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
YuanLiu
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos