datetimepicker query dates in sql server

Jump to solution
02-28-2013 08:25 AM
CaryRoberts
New Contributor III
I have a form that has two datetimepicker's (From and To) I am trying to select dates from date time field.
If I manually select dates with whereClause = "InspectionDate > '2012-09-04 07:50:41'
AND InspectionDate < '2012-10-04 07:44:04'" it will work. If I pass the value from the date time picker it wants to reformat the date.
I have tried to re-format the date with Dim tDate As String = frmTech1.ToDatePicker.Value.ToString("yyyy-MM-dd") which works but I cannot query table with a string.
My where clause looks like this whereClause = "InspectionDate > " & vFrom & " " & "00:00:00" '& " " & "AND" & " " & "InspectionDate < " & vTo & " " & "00:00:00" & " " & "AND" & " " & "FieldTechnician" = "Tech" .

How do I convert this string format (yyyy-MM-dd) back to a date?

Cary Roberts , GISP
CVMVCD
0 Kudos
12 Replies
CaryRoberts
New Contributor III
This is classic vb string building.  Your messagebox looks right because it concatenates the variables together.

Does this work, add "'" (quote, single quote, quote) around your variables. Maybe it's + instead of &, been a long time since I VB'd anything.

whereClause = "InspectionDate >= " & "'" & fromDate & "'" & " And InspectionDate <= " & "'" & toDate & "'"

That does work. All I was missing was the (quote, single quote, quote) , this is what I tried before your response.
'whereClause = "InspectionDate > " & fromDate & " " & "00:00:00" & " " & "AND" & " " & "InspectionDate < " & toDate & " " & "00:00:00" & " " '" & "AND" & " " & "FieldTechnician" = "Tech"
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate > '2012-09-04 07:50:41' AND InspectionDate < '2012-10-04 07:44:04'" '
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate > " & fromDate & " " & " AND " & " " & "InspectionDate < " & toDate
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate > " & fromDate & " " & "and" & " " & "InspectionDate < " & toDate & ""

whereClause = "InspectionDate >= " & "'" & fromDate & "'" & " And InspectionDate <= " & "'" & toDate & "'"
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate < '2012-09-04 07:50:41'"
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate > #" & fromDate & "# AND InspectionDate < #" & toDate & "#"
            ' whereClause = "InspectionDate BETWEEN " & fromDate & " And " & toDate & ""
            'whereClause = "InspectionDate > " & fromDate & "00:00:00"  " " & "AND" & " " & "InspectionDate  <  " & toDate & 18:00:00""
            '" & "AND" & " " & "FieldTechnician" = "Tech"""

The flat spot is starting to disappear. Thanks Much lesson learned.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
I still think the user of string.format would avoid all this concatenation complexity.
0 Kudos
CaryRoberts
New Contributor III
Be new to VB.Net and Visual Studio, I remember when everything was esri.core and alot of the commands seemed much simpler.
I am intrigued by your where clause in a string.format function, I will have to look at that later. Just trying to get up to speed after a bit of a layoff. Trying to figure out what SQL wants, what the VS will give you and the settings on the development box can be a little confusing especially when it comes to dates. Thanks again Mr. Gray
0 Kudos