Help on Putting Security when ArcMAP starts

03-15-2011 12:32 AM
MuradJamal1
New Contributor
Hello

I am planning to implement a security layer to the ArcMAP application . the logic is that without a validated login no user cannot open the arcMap application.

Can anyone give any feedback on where to start or how to accomplish this

appreciate it

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveFang
New Contributor III
Not sure why you're doing it but one way you could implment this is through document events.  On document open go to a location for authentication (Windows, XML, or DB), return the results, if user is ok then you're done otherwise inform user and close down document.
0 Kudos
MuradJamal1
New Contributor
Not sure why you're doing it but one way you could implment this is through document events.  On document open go to a location for authentication (Windows, XML, or DB), return the results, if user is ok then you're done otherwise inform user and close down document.

thanks chump

i am trying to find an entry point to get the reference to the newly created document everytime you start the arcMAp application.

since i am not creating any custom extension or commands - i cannot use their oncreate .. etc events

if i create a custom arcmap Class from Visual Studio  what method or what should i use to get the reference

or is there any other way

thanks
0 Kudos
SteveFang
New Contributor III
I usually implement something like that in an extension.  But you are not going down that path.  What about embedding VBA code into your document to hook into the document event?  The downside is you now have to distribute that map document to all your users.
0 Kudos
MuradJamal1
New Contributor
I usually implement something like that in an extension.  But you are not going down that path.  What about embedding VBA code into your document to hook into the document event?  The downside is you now have to distribute that map document to all your users.

hello chump

i will try with the extension and see how it goes

thanks again
0 Kudos