Is Visual Stidio 2010 Express Supported?

08-19-2010 07:18 AM
JakubSisak
Occasional Contributor III
I am in the process to migrating to ArcGIS 10. I have a lot of VBA customization that i would like to convert to the new "add-ins" structure. 
Can i use VS 2010 Express or do I need to stick with 2008.  In the article below, VS 2010 Express is not listed as one of the supported IDEs.
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgissdks/10.0/system-requirements

Please Advise,
0 Kudos
15 Replies
GlennCard
New Contributor
For ESRI forum staff:  Will ArcGIS Desktop v10.0 be supported in Visual Studio 2010 Express within the next quarter of this year?
GEC
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
0 Kudos
grahamwood
New Contributor III
vb 2010 express works fine.  Just remember framework 3.5.  The installation is the only pain in the ass part you might have to add in the esri tools manual.
0 Kudos
BorisPavcic
New Contributor
Hello

if I understand rigth from last posts: Visual Basic 2010 Express is supported, but how to install ArcObjects SDK, because some window popups and it says that I don't have installed supported version of Visual Studio, so i cannot instal SDK ?
0 Kudos
JakubSisak
Hello

if I understand rigth from last posts: Visual Basic 2010 Express is supported, but how to install ArcObjects SDK, because some window popups and it says that I don't have installed supported version of Visual Studio, so i cannot instal SDK ?

It seems that you will have to install VS 2008 Express then the SDK then remove VS 2008 and install VS 2010 Express.  Unless the most current installer has been upgraded.
0 Kudos
GordonKnight
New Contributor II

I am a new user and installed ArcGIS SDK on a machine with VS Express 10 on it.  The Windows Mobile SDK would not extract or install correctly without VS Express 8 being on the machine.  The problem was VS Express 8 won't install with VS Express 10 install previously.   The work around that I used was to install VS Express 8 on a spare laptop, extract the Windows Mobile SDK, transfer the files from that laptop to the desktop that I am using.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do that because I am just learning but it seems to work alright with the minor projects that I am using to learn.

0 Kudos