Minimal Distro for ArcObject v10 Application

09-07-2010 07:23 AM
JamesMain
New Contributor
Hello,

Does anybody have any experience putting together a very minimalist distro for their ArcObjects v10 application?  The ESRI run times are very large and it would seem that the entire package needs to be laid down on the client PC in order to get even a very small application to run.  That seems excessive to me.  I'd like to distribute the most minimal set of ESRI runtimes possible - just enough to keep my app happy.  Any ideas or thoughts about this?

Thanks!

JD
0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
If you use Visual Studio and add a deployment project to your solution to create an installer, then the project contains a dependency list.  This list will show you what your app requires.
0 Kudos
JamesMain
New Contributor
In continuation of this thread - does ESRI have a "small" package of the ArcEngine Runtime available for download?  The one posted on EDN is about 3.2GB and includes Windows, Sun, and Linux distros.

In the end, I'm still looking for an easy way to package my app with a minimal set of run times.  I don't think I can just grab a bunch of DLLs and place them in my app path.  I think the entire ArcEngine MSI has to be installed.

Does anybody have any experience actually deploying copies of a custom ArcEngine application?  I'd sure love to hear about your experiences.

Thanks!

J.D.
0 Kudos
JohnHauck
Occasional Contributor II
Please add any comments you may have to the following idea, this sounds like what you're looking for:

Please provide an option to install a smaller ArcGIS Engine Runtime Footprint
0 Kudos
JamesMain
New Contributor
Has there been any action on a minimal distro for ArcEngine?

For my purposes, it would look like this:

1.  ArcEngine SP1
2.  .NET only
3.  Windows Only
4.  No Python
5.  No extensions

This would be a great help.  Can anybody from ESRI comment?  Please let me know.

J.D.
0 Kudos