Using Military Overlay Feature Template with ArcObject Engine Developer Kit

01-07-2014 12:49 AM
NileshParulekar
New Contributor II
I am developing an custom application using ArcObjects Engine Developer Kit (Cross Platform CPP) in Linux. I have a requirement to display MIL2525C symbology on a Map.
Previous to ArcGIS 10.2 version this was done using Mole extension or Defense solution library. With 10.2 the support for MOLE & defense solution library is discontinued and Military Overlay Feature Template is introduced.

I am able to use the overla package in ArcMap Application. But as I need to use the same with ArcObjects EDK in custom application, I have no idea about how to use it.

In my custom application I will have custom messages from network regarding the position and status of units, and I need to render them on Map. I can not use GeoDatabase. Best would have been using MOLE cahched graphics with Dynamic layer.

Can anyone please provide me any pointer regarding how to use the Military Overlay Feature Template with ArcObjects EDK.
1 Reply
NileshParulekar
New Contributor II
After a lot of wild gueses at last I am somwhat able to find out two ways to do it.\

1) Author a .mxd in ArcMap with the layers in it and geodatabase added. Open this map in my custom application. Then create a feature in the geodatabase (but does not store) with proper field values, and then get the symbol for feature from feature renderer of the layer. Then I use the symbol to render on map in onafterdraw function. But always the default symbol is drawn no matters whatever value is st to "symbolname" field.

Im sure storing the feature in geodatabase should render it automatically by logic. But some how, it is not working and the application is crashing when trying to open a map with data in the geodatabase.

2) In the second way I was more successfull, by using uniquevaluerenderer interface of the layer. By using this I was able to get proper symbol.

Well after going through this, I think the feature template does not define the modifier symbols like mobility etc. I kind of miss the old MOLE extension.

Does anyone has more complete feature template. It would save me a lot of nights.
0 Kudos