Arc Pad 10 Virtual memory

12-07-2011 02:36 PM
JustinGentle
New Contributor
I am having a problem with loss of virtual memory when using an .axf within Arcpad.  I have plenty of physical memory available (over 50 mb), but the virtual memory starts at 30mb but quickly drops from there with each redraw.  After a few (<10) redraws then the virtual memory drops to below 3 mb and continues to drop until ArcPad locks up.  When using only shape files this virtual memory seems to drop to 4 mb but then maintains at that level.

My axf is not overly complicated and draws very fast intially.

Can anybody explain why the virtual memory does not free up?

I'm using arc pad 10 on a HP Ipaq Mobile 6 classic w/128 mb of memory.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ChrisKahn
New Contributor III
Did you ever receive a fix?  I am experiencing same thing with incredibly simple AXF.  If I try to add an image forget about it.    I am on 10  R3  Build 33
0 Kudos
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Hi guys,

There are lots of things you can do to tune the performance of ArcPad on your Mobile Device.

One way is to look at your ArcPad Extensions. Switch off the extensions you are not using for your project. This may include un-installing Street Map.

Also, you can look at further reducing the complexity of the data you take out into the field. Are you exporting background layers? Can your imagery be reduced to your work area? Are you only checking-out data relevant to your work area? Are you using cached basemap tiles?

For more tips and tricks see the ArcPad Help.

HTH

Hannah
0 Kudos
JoelCrawford
New Contributor
Hi! Did anyone ever get resolution to this issue?

I'm experiencing the same thing. With Trimble Nomad running ArcPad 10. Also having issue specific to AXF and not SHP.

Thanks, Joel!!!!
0 Kudos
ryanreise
New Contributor
Hi! Did anyone ever get resolution to this issue?

I'm experiencing the same thing. With Trimble Nomad running ArcPad 10. Also having issue specific to AXF and not SHP.

Thanks, Joel!!!!

Ditto! Same config and hardware. Using .AXF. No rasters, just 2 or 3 vector background files, which are no where near over the top and stored on an SD Card. As soon as I go to collect a point Low on Virtual memory. Really?

This has been an issue since 8 and it's really a pain in the....  Hello Esri?
0 Kudos
ericbock
New Contributor III
I recommend you all log a case with Esri ArcPad support regarding this issue.  To test if its the AXF causing problems checkout the data as a background SHAPEFILE and you probably wont have those memory problems.  Unfortunately, if you go this route, then you cant check the data back in.

Good luck, ericb
0 Kudos
BradZedek
New Contributor
Hey there,

I am experiecing the same problem with ArcPad 10.  Specifically when switching between drawing features (i.e. manhole to tap).  Occasionally a low vitual memory warning will appear and then go away, but after I capture 10 or so features ArcPad locks up with this error report "WinCE501bException" and I have to shut it down.  It has been getting progressively worse, to the point now where I can only capture two objects and it locks up. I only use two background vector files and the file I am editing in is also vector.  The physical memeory on the device is barely used.  Any answers or solutions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos