ArcPad 10 / ArcMap 10 / Trimble GPS Analyst Issue

05-12-2011 09:33 AM
DanielBishop
New Contributor II
I am running ArcEditor 10 SP 2 on my Windows XP desktop. I am trying to run a Trimble GeoXH 2008 series and our new Trimble GeoXH 6000 series on the same computer, with the 2008 running ArcPad 8, and the 6000 running ArcPad10. The Trimble GPS Analyst 2.40 extension is installed but I am having many issues with it.

At first, if I tried to go into the Properties of any .gdb, ArcCatalog would crash, also if I selected "Start GNSS Editing" it would cause ArcMap to crash. Removing the ESRI folder in the Application Data directory and in the HKEY_Current_User did seem to fix the ArcCatalog crash, and I was able to create a GPS enabled .gdb. For the ArcMap problem, once I used the Check In AXF tool in the ArcToolbox first, I was able to "Start GNSS Editing" and be able to edit gps data. The only problem now, is that the Check In tool is not importing any data. It just loops back to the tool window unless you hit Cancel.

If I am able to find a solution I will post it on this thread, has anyone else experienced this issue?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanielBishop
New Contributor II
I was able to find a work around, simply setting my Trimble GPS Analyst license on a server as a license manager fixed all my problems. If I run GPS Analyst as a Single License it crashes ArcMap, if it is running off the license manager it runs great. Doesn't make any sense, but at least I can use it now.
0 Kudos
DanielBishop
New Contributor II
That work around only worked a few times. I am now back in the same situation I was before. Now my work around is to check in the data and process on another workstation and save the changes. Then I can open the project on my workstation and make any more edits as needed.
0 Kudos
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I have spoken with Trimble many times about this issue.  All they said to do is uninstall 2.4 and revert to 2.3, as "there are licensing issues with 2.4 and ArcMap 10.  Which isnt a problem...same functionality.  That is my workaround.
0 Kudos
DanielBishop
New Contributor II
Sounds like they need to release a fix for that. I would do that, but the GeoXH 6000 series is only compatible with GPS Analyst 2.40. Everything would probably run smooth if I could just run the same software version on everything.
0 Kudos
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
I am wondering how true Trimble is with stating the 6000 is only compatible with Analyst 2.4.  2.4 is very unstable (licensing) and all it does it add the functionality for gnss, which hardly any stations post process gnss yet.  ive tried with 2.3 and it works just fine to post process, then i use the floodlight (gnss) to navigate back to features.
0 Kudos
GaryBlackledge1
New Contributor
Had the crash problem, (ArcMap 10 w/GPSAnalyst 2.40 must use due to Trimble 6000"s) found out the problem is with service pack 1 & 2. Uninstalled and re installed without service packs and all is well. Tried EVERYTHING else. I know Esri knows this and should advise ??
0 Kudos
GaryBlackledge1
New Contributor
I am running ArcEditor 10 SP 2 on my Windows XP desktop. I am trying to run a Trimble GeoXH 2008 series and our new Trimble GeoXH 6000 series on the same computer, with the 2008 running ArcPad 8, and the 6000 running ArcPad10. The Trimble GPS Analyst 2.40 extension is installed but I am having many issues with it.

At first, if I tried to go into the Properties of any .gdb, ArcCatalog would crash, also if I selected "Start GNSS Editing" it would cause ArcMap to crash. Removing the ESRI folder in the Application Data directory and in the HKEY_Current_User did seem to fix the ArcCatalog crash, and I was able to create a GPS enabled .gdb. For the ArcMap problem, once I used the Check In AXF tool in the ArcToolbox first, I was able to "Start GNSS Editing" and be able to edit gps data. The only problem now, is that the Check In tool is not importing any data. It just loops back to the tool window unless you hit Cancel.

If I am able to find a solution I will post it on this thread, has anyone else experienced this issue?

Had the crash problem, (ArcMap 10 w/GPSAnalyst 2.40 must use due to Trimble 6000"s) found out the problem is with service pack 1 & 2. Uninstalled and re installed without service packs and all is well. Tried EVERYTHING else. I know Esri knows this and should advise ??
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
Sounds like one for your Trimble sales/support agent to Liease with Trimble about...
0 Kudos
DanielBishop
New Contributor II

That looked like it solved my problem as well, all I did was uninstall ArcMap SP 2, and uninstalled then reinstalled GPS Analyst 2.40. I also deleted the ESRI folder in the registry and in the Application Data folder. Everything I have tested with seems to work great now, thanks for the info I will pass this on to our Trimble Rep.
0 Kudos