ArcPad 10 - Check Out Data

01-25-2012 04:05 AM
JulianBurke
New Contributor
We just purchased a GEO Explorer XT 6000 series and ArcPad 10. We had been using a GEO XT 2005 and ArcPad 7.0.

Our problem is how do we check out data? When we check out the data in AXF format the unit runs extremely slow and we get low memory errors. We never had this problem with 7.0 and collecting points was fast and easy.

I hope there is a better way. All we want to do in the field is:
1. Collect new points
2. Update attributes on existing points (if needed)

We don't need background images, road maps, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Julian Burke
Chatsworth Water Works Commission
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
How many layers are you exporting to AXF?  Since you are not exporting schema only in some cases, how many features are there in these layers?  How about related tables and/or domains.  After a lot of research and testing on a Recon, it became evident that RAM was the culprit for issues with our collection on 31 layers with empty schema, but domains and subtypes present.  I ran the same output with everything included on a tablet with 2 GB RAM without issue and ran super fast.

My recommendation would be to eliminate any unnecessary layers (sounds like you are already doing that) or split your data into multiple AXFs/apms if feasible and use the dektop shortcuts.  I split ours into two and they seemd to both work fine on the Recons.  My guess is you will have better results as well with this approach.  HTH
0 Kudos