ArcPad 8 SP3 and ArcGIS 10 > Where is the Data Manager Toolbar?

06-25-2010 07:32 AM
JonathanNowlan
Esri Contributor
I've just installed ArcGIS 10 and I have ArcPad 8 SP3 however I do not see the ArcPad Data Manager extension listed nor is the toolbar available. I tried uninstalling and re-installing ArcPad but it did not help.

Does anyone know if version 8 is compatible with 10?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
I think I read another thread in here that said it did not.  I take it you're not on ArcPad maintenance and can't move to ArcPad 10 when available?
0 Kudos
JonathanNowlan
Esri Contributor
Thanks, I just installed 10 and I now have the Data Manager extension. I work for a ESRI distributor so we wanted to double check since this may be a question that clients will have in the coming weeks!

Cheers
0 Kudos
BryceSmith
New Contributor
I've just installed ArcGIS 10 and I have ArcPad 8 SP3 however I do not see the ArcPad Data Manager extension listed nor is the toolbar available. I tried uninstalling and re-installing ArcPad but it did not help.

Does anyone know if version 8 is compatible with 10?

You cannot use ArcPad 8.x Data Manager Extension in ArcGIS 10. ESRI changed the way ArcObjects are registered in ArcGIS 10, so the Data Manager was required to be rebuilt and registered the new way. Additional features were included as well.

So in order to use new features with ArcPad 10, you need to install with ArcGIS 10, hoewver you can still use ArcPad 10 with ArcGIS 9.x, you just won't get new checkout functionality.

Cheers
Bryce
0 Kudos
JasonHarshman
Occasional Contributor
I had a chance to talk with an Esri ArcPad support tech at the recent User Conference and he said that ArcGIS 10 and ArcPad 8 should be compatible and that it was an issue of ArcPad 8 having installed prior to ArcGIS 10. His solution was to uninstalled ArcPad and then reinstall it.

However, I did this and I still do not see the ArcPad toolbar or the extension while in ArcGIS 10. I wish I remembered his name because I'd like to give him a ring...
0 Kudos
BryceSmith
New Contributor
I had a chance to talk with an Esri ArcPad support tech at the recent User Conference and he said that ArcGIS 10 and ArcPad 8 should be compatible and that it was an issue of ArcPad 8 having installed prior to ArcGIS 10. His solution was to uninstalled ArcPad and then reinstall it.

However, I did this and I still do not see the ArcPad toolbar or the extension while in ArcGIS 10. I wish I remembered his name because I'd like to give him a ring...

Dunno about that tech support guy, but I was one of the developers on the data manager and and the ArcPad 8 sp3 version of data manager is not supported in ArcGIS 10.

Cheers
Bryce

p.s. I'm no longer on the development team
0 Kudos
EugeneDashiell
New Contributor III
Where is data manager tool bar in arcgis 10?
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
Is this still an issue? I have service pack 4 and GIS10. Are they really not compatible?
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
I found another thread relating to this topic and it suggested the ESRI kb article #38344. I went to this ESRI article and was able to get the ArcPad manager toolbar for ArcPad8 sp4 into ArcGIS10 by following the instructions. I was able to use the toolbar to check out data, however, I have not field tested the data yet. I am running Windows 7.
0 Kudos
MikeMorellato
New Contributor II
I found another thread relating to this topic and it suggested the ESRI kb article #38344....

Thank you, seems to work.  I'm using ArcPad 8 and ArcGIS 10 and ran into this problem.  The direct link is here: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38344
0 Kudos