ArcPad compatibility with ArcGIS 10.1/VB

11-06-2012 01:55 PM
RussellKallstrom
New Contributor III
Hi folks-

This might be a dumb set of questions, but please humor me- I couldn't find any quick answers elsewhere.  I'm on ArcGIS 10 and use use ArcPad 10SP1, which uses VB Script in customized forms.  I have a couple of questions about the latest ArcPad:

1) Which versions of ArcPad are fully compatible with ArcGIS 10.1?
2) I know Python is Ok, but is VB still supported in the latest version of ArcPad, or am I going to have to re-write?  And is ESRI getting rid of VB in ArcPad, or just expanding programming options in the mobile environment?

RK
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Hola Russell,

No question is a dumb question; I would say this is a great question.  In regards to your first question, ArcPad 10.0.4 will work with ArcMap 10.1/10.1.1. With ArcPad, it is not a compatibility question, since it is an individual object and with older version of ArcPad, you may not have all the options when used within a new version of ArcMap. Also, what we have seen is the extension and toolbar sometimes does not reflect but we have a technical article which addresses this issue.
Problem: ArcPad Data Manager extension is not visible in ArcMap 10
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38344
In regards to your second question on VB going away, in favor and being replaced with Python in its place. VB seems to be at the moment a valid and supported language for ArcPadStudio, along with Jscript but the model does reflect us moving to Python but not completely. At the moment we are using Python within our supported languages too.
Gracias, Russell!
0 Kudos