ArcPad on Android

04-06-2012 10:33 AM
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
You guys really need to get with the times and offer ArcPad on Android. It's really sad that there is no real GIS tablet software from you guys yet, just a limited viewer. Windows mobile died nearly 6 years ago, and the hardware is awful and way overpriced to boot. If you don't watch out some small time start up will zoom right on by while you're still lost in windows mobile land. Yes I know you have android apk's and whatnot, but that does not help me very much. I need an app as powerful as ArcPad that runs on Android. Heck I'd even settle for iOS at this point.

You guys really are missing out on a huge market and opportunity to get GIS tools into the hands of the masses. Almost everyone has an Android or iPhone these days, plus all the tablets. All we need is software, I'm talking real GIS tools like ArcPad not simple viewer apps like ArcGIS Explorer. Is this ever going to happen, or should I start looking to other companies for a solution? The ESRI ArcGIS android app just does not cut it right now.
Tags (3)
15 Replies
GermanVazquez_Carreon
New Contributor
I agree with many of the comments posted here but it suprises me that ESRI havent grasped this market. For those who cant see why you would want it, answer the following questions:

1) Show me a Windows Mobile device with a quad core processor?
2) Show me that has 32Gb built in?
3) ndroid smartphones are able to use built in compasses, GPS and cell triangulation to help get quicker location fix.

I accept that the GPS will not be as capable but for my needs they have been fine.......

I hope that it gets developed and the first fully equipped GIS software for Android will do very well.......then all we need is Otterbox to make a further range of rugged cases for some popular Android tablets and I can see this being a mayor break through.

How about this:

A TABLET with both operating systems:

http://betanews.com/2013/06/20/samsung-ativ-q-android-and-windows-8-get-married/ 

The New Samsung  ATIV Q
0 Kudos
GermanVazquez_Carreon
New Contributor
The android Panasonic Toughpad FZ-A1 with ArcPAD would suit me. The Motion tablets we are using now are just not rugged enough and replacement screens cost the same as a new machine.

Come on ESRI!

How about this:

A TABLET with both operating systems:

http://betanews.com/2013/06/20/samsu...8-get-married/

The New Samsung ATIV Q
0 Kudos
GermanVazquez_Carreon
New Contributor
I can run Arcpad separately from the expensive even to rent GPS device which is even better since I mostly just rent the GPS device when I need it, but use ArcPad all the time.  Currently I run ArcPad on an HP211 but they don't make those anymore. Get ahead of the curve and develop ArcPad as a stand-alone GIS program for the Android that doesn't need internet/phone access for maps etc.

I run it on a Dolphin 9700, because it has an integrated GPS and Windows Mobile, but there are other good options.

1.- The new Dolphin Black 70e (wich i will buy as soon as i get the money).  It comes with Windows Mobile 6.5 OR Android. (integrated GPS optional). Big fat screen, super fast, super cool look (smartphone like).

www.dolphinblack.com

2.- The TRIMBLE JUNO 3B, with Windows Mobile 6.5. integrated GPS (pretty good really).

and the coolest of all

3.- The Samsung ATIV Q, with BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, Windows 8 AND Android.

http://betanews.com/2013/06/20/samsung-ativ-q-android-and-windows-8-get-married/
0 Kudos
zainabadamu2
New Contributor

i really need ArcPad on my android phone right now

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

ArcPad still runs on win (non-mobile) devices, so although not your phone, you can have a pretty lightweight, fairly cheap Windows 7 tablet to run arcpad on.  That is what we do.  Not recommended to run in win10...arcpad is ok, it's the GPS integration that might be an issue.

0 Kudos
PatrickMurphy
Occasional Contributor

You can try Collector for free if you have a Desktop license.  It works but is not as easy or complete as ArcPad.  You can tell it is still primitive in the sense that you are locked into one screen orientation.  For example on my Samsung 7 or 8 inch, the screen is locked into landscape and it can't be changed.

ESRI is making the same mistake that Microsoft made when they ended Windows Mobile 6.x.  If some other software like AndMap available on Google Play gets a little more improved, they will wipe out Collector.  PLEASE ESRI, make ArcPad for Android and I would be willing to pay for it.

NOTE: all of you who think iOS is better, note that no Apple devices allow an external SD so if you smash your device, ALL you data are lost.  Android allows you to save data to the external SD so if you smash your device, you just pull the chip out and you are good to go.

0 Kudos