Auto Increment greyed out in Control Properties

Jump to solution
10-18-2012 12:09 PM
DanKlenjoski
New Contributor II
I am working on a sign inventory application in ArcPad 10. When I create the edit control box for the ID I want, the Auto Increment check box is greyed out. I have tried everything and followed the tutorial for the Tree inventory which implements this but I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong.

All sign data I am using for the project resides in ArcSDE 10.1

Any help would be appreciated.

Dan
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThaiTruong
Occasional Contributor II
I think I know what is going on here....

The Auto Increment feature only works with shapefiles.  So, if you use *.axf, then you're out of luck! 🙂

If you don't want to use shapefiles, then you need to write some VBA to help you maintain your IDs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ThaiTruong
I used to have a project created with ArcPad 7/8, and the auto Increment function didn't work for me back in that time.  I end up created a custom function to help me manage the auto increment IDs and called it when my user created a new feature.

Anyways, making sure that the field is a numeric boundfield.  I hope that the option enabled if the field is a numeric type.
0 Kudos
ThaiTruong

The Auto Increment feature only works with shapefiles.  So, if you use *.axf, then you're out of luck! 🙂

If you don't want to use shapefiles, then you need to write some VBA to help you maintain your IDs.
0 Kudos
DanKlenjoski
New Contributor II

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the quick response. Do you have any examples of how to write a VBA to maintain my ID's? I am green in the VBA arena.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
GustavoBediaga
New Contributor III
Take a look at the Login Form Script

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=16477

or the Auto Increment Script

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=10160

Hope it helps you.

Gustavo
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
You may also want to look at a recent blog topic on ArcPad Team Blog - Incrementing ID's.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
DanKlenjoski
New Contributor II
Thanks for the help/links!
0 Kudos