Can't start ArcPad Studio

08-15-2011 09:24 AM
NathanRudd
New Contributor
I am running ArcPad 10.0.2.  When I try to start ArcPad Studio, I get a notice about the requirement for a registered license of ArcPad, and asked if I want to open it.  I select Yes, ArcPad 10 opens, but ArcPad Studio just hangs (doesn't finish loading).  If I open ArcPad first, Studio appears to load (I see toolbar icons and the menu), but I get the same notice about ArcPad 10 being required and asking if I want to open ArcPad.  No closes Studio, Yes tells me another instance of ArcPad is already open.

I successfully used Studio several months ago (before the 10.0.2 upgrade), and didn't have this problem.  Does this require a reinstall or is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
Nathan
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Nathan,

If you were working with a registered copy of ArcPad 10 prior to v10.0.2 I'm surprised that you're running into this issue.  ArcPad Studio requires that you register ArcPad before it can be used.  You can evaluate ArcPad, but not ArcPad Studio.  The reason that it asks if you want to open ArcPad is so you can enter the registration number.  Opening ArcPad without registering wouldn't do you any good.

Does ArcPad open in evaluation mode or is it fully registered?

Check your registry to verify that you've properly entered the reg code:

Start > run > regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > ESRI > ArcPad > 10.0 > SerialNumber

Do you have a registration number listed here?  The version 10 number should contain the letter "D" in the middle of it.  If you do, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't open ArcPad Studio.

If you don't have a registration number here open ArcPad and enter your registration number when prompted.  If you don't remember your number, a quick call to customer service should clear that up.

If you DO have a valid registration number here, something fishy is going on.  If that is the case, here's what I would recommend:

Inside the Software folder of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive you'll find that ESRI folder.  Right-click it and rename it to ESRI_old.  Fire up ArcPad and you will be prompted for your registration number again.  Enter it, and you should be able to start up ArcPad Studio.

If the above doesn't work try a repair of your installation.  If that doesn't work, try a full uninstall / reinstall (which really shouldn't be necessary).

If you still can't open ArcPad Studio after all of this, reply here with the steps you've tried and we'll go from there.
0 Kudos
NathanRudd
New Contributor
Tim,

Thanks! You helped me figure it out.  I had ArcPad 10 registered, and did the bit about renaming the ArcPad (not ESRI) folder in the registry, opening ArcPad and registering it again.  This led me to compare the paths in the EXE entry, and that was the  problem.  I was upgraded to 10.0.2 (or upgraded again) when one of our staff upgraded my ArcGIS to v. 10 - and they installed the ArcPad upgrade in a different path.  At least I think that was the problem - I don't fully understand why the path in the registry wasn't updated properly.

Anyway, I am able to start Studio without any problem.

Nathan
0 Kudos