CheckIn Strange behaviour

11-07-2011 12:17 PM
D3EGPS
by
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I need some help on a particularly strange case.
The laptop configuration is : XP SP3, ArcPad 7.1.1 and ArcGIS 9.3

I have a really simple database (few features classes and few attributes for each classes).
I check out data from the Database, collect data in the field with an ArcPad 7.1.1 and check-in data back in the DB. Or try to check -in.
While trying to check-in the data, I got this behaviour :
1. All data are not checked-in, the checkin process stops (not crash). and ask for checking in again
2. Or, I can't check-in at all.

I am using either GPS Analyst (using GPSCorrect in the field) or the check-in process of the ArcPad data manager toolbar when features are digitized.

This is happening with both checking in processes.

So, as a summary, with ArcPad 7.1.1 and ArcGIS 9.3 this is not working.
I tried to recreate the database (copy features classes, import features from shp into totally equivalent feature classes, copy/paste database....) but the problem is still the same.

What is really strange in this is that this is working with the configuration (I can check all data - no error messages)
1. Laptop : ArcGIS 10/ArcPad 10
2. Mobile device : ArcPad 7.1.1

Working with GPS Analyst or ArcPad Data Manager Tool

I know that this configuration can work because the axf structure is closed from a release of arcpad to another. So I am Ok with this.

....but this is not work with this configuration (same behaviour as the first configuration)
1. Laptop : ArcGIS 9.3/ArcPad 10
2. Mobile device : ArcPad 7.1.1

...this is not working.

And this issue is only happening for this specific database I am using. I recreate a new database (less feature classes, less attributes) and with the first configuration (ArcPad 7.1.1,ArcGIS 9.3, ArcPad 7.1.1) it is working properly.

Is there an exception with the first configuration. Is this issue from ArcPad Data Manager 7.1.1 side ? ArcGIS 9.3 ?

I am not sure to be really clear with all this, but I really don't know what to do with this particular case. Maybe I missed something in the DB structure. I can provide it if needed.

Thanks for any help
Best regards

Julien
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
When using ArcPad 10 with ArcGIS 9.3 - you will get the ArcPad 8 Data Manager Toolbar in ArcMap.

When using ArcPad 10 with ArcGIS 10 - you will get the ArcPad 10 Data Manager Toolbar in ArcMap.

There have been many improvements made to the ArcPad 10 Data Manager Toolbar that may explain this behavior. For example - attempting to check-in AXF data with field names that are SQL reserved words will only work with the ArcPad 10 Data Manager Toolbar in ArcGIS 10.

For a full list of improvements, see the ArcPad 10 Read Me which is installed in the Help folder with ArcPad 10.

Hope this helps!!
0 Kudos
D3EGPS
by
New Contributor III
Hi Hannah,

Thanks!!!
You are absolutely right I think. As I thought after all my different tests, I thought that it was coming from the Database... I forgot the SQL part words for the improvement of arcpad and arcgis 10...;-)
I Will Check carefully the fields names and let you know.

I also tried once to unregister the dll for arcpad data manager in arcgis 9.3 and register the arcpad data manager 10. It works fine on my laptop. I will try also this to confirm this assumption.

Thanks again

Best regards

Julien
0 Kudos