HELP!!!! AutoCAD/ArcPad not playing well together!

12-15-2011 01:14 PM
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
Purchased 2 Handheld Nautiz X7 GPS units that use ArcPad 10 and ArcPad Studio. We are having issues getting the data we input out into AutoCAD Map 2011 3D correctly. We have no training or knowledge of ArcPad and are growing very impatient. The data collection software we had written for ArcPad seems to finally be working after having it "tweaked", and instead of being out in the field, the units are still in the "test" phase because ArcPad is difficult to figure out. Does anyone have any knowledge on how to get the .shp file transferred over correctly and to the proper scale so that we can actually work with the points provided?
Any help would be great and much appreciated!!!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

From your post it seems as though you have ArcPad functioning correctly and can successfully create and manipulate shapefiles with ArcPad.  Your main question is how to get shapefiles into AutoCAD, is this correct?

If this is the case then it's probably not so much an ArcPad question but rather a general ArcGIS Desktop question.  Do you have access to ArcGIS Desktop? 

You'll need to use ArcGIS Desktop to export those shapefiles out to a format which AutoCAD can read.  ArcPad does not provide this type of functionality.

Here's a few web help articles which discuss the workflows that can be used to export shapefiles or feature classes to cad drawings:

Exporting data to CAD drawings
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001000000076000000.htm

Export To CAD (Geoprocessing Tool)
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00120000001n000000

You have the ability with this tool to export using default settings or to use an existing seed file to alter the way the cad drawing looks after running the GP tool.

If you run into any issues utilizing these tools or have additional questions about their functionality, I would suggest posting to the general ArcGIS Desktop usage forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/5-ArcGIS-Desktop-General

If I've misunderstood and you're having trouble actually creating and working with the shapefiles in ArcPad, please respond here with some additional info.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
Hello,

From your post it seems as though you have ArcPad functioning correctly and can successfully create and manipulate shapefiles with ArcPad.  Your main question is how to get shapefiles into AutoCAD, is this correct?

If this is the case then it's probably not so much an ArcPad question but rather a general ArcGIS Desktop question.  Do you have access to ArcGIS Desktop? 

You'll need to use ArcGIS Desktop to export those shapefiles out to a format which AutoCAD can read.  ArcPad does not provide this type of functionality.

Here's a few web help articles which discuss the workflows that can be used to export shapefiles or feature classes to cad drawings:

Exporting data to CAD drawings
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001000000076000000.htm

Export To CAD (Geoprocessing Tool)
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00120000001n000000

You have the ability with this tool to export using default settings or to use an existing seed file to alter the way the cad drawing looks after running the GP tool.

If you run into any issues utilizing these tools or have additional questions about their functionality, I would suggest posting to the general ArcGIS Desktop usage forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/5-ArcGIS-Desktop-General

If I've misunderstood and you're having trouble actually creating and working with the shapefiles in ArcPad, please respond here with some additional info.

Thanks!

Hello,
Actually, we need lots of help. When we purchased the units, we were not given any advice or information on what we should purchase. All we were told was that the Nautiz units used ArcPad. When we purchsed the ESRI software, we recieved ArcPad 10 and ArcStudio. If what I am reading is correct, we need to purchase ArcGIS and/or ArcGIS for Windows Mobile. Would this be correct?

As for manipulating shp files, I am totally lost. I cannot even open the shape files at this point. Again, we, I am really at a loss as to what to do or what to get. We purchased this software, and it seems that we should have been advised much better.
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Can I ask that you expand on the following comment you made in your initial post:

"The data collection software we had written for ArcPad seems to finally be working after having it "tweaked"."

What sort of collection software have you written and how does it interact with ArcPad?  I initially was under the impression that you were successfully working with shapefiles in ArcPad, but I see that this is not the case.  Are you simply trying to create new shapefiles and add data to them in the field or have you written some sort of application the somehow sits on top of ArcPad?

Are you receiving an error when you try to add the shapefiles to ArcPad or do you not know how to add them in the first place?

From the main toolbar in ArcPad, there is a button with a yellow diamond with a green and white plus sign.  This button allows you to navigate to and add shapefiles to your document.  You also have the ability to create brand new shapefiles in ArcPad, via File (ArcPad icon in upper left) > New > Shapefile.

You do not necessarily need ArcGIS Desktop to work with ArcPad.  ArcPad can function by itself as a stand-alone program.  If you did have ArcGIS Desktop, you have greater functionality with ArcPad by being able to "check out and check in" data.

ArcPad Studio is a separate application for customizing ArcPad.  You can customize the way that attribute forms of shapefiles look and add additional functionality via scripting to ArcPad.  It is not required that you use ArcPad Studio.  ArcPad out-of-the-box will allow you to create new shapefiles or consume existing shapefiles.

ArcGIS for Windows Mobile is a separate mobile application similar to ArcPad (does not have any interaction at all with ArcPad) and DOES require that you have ArcGIS Desktop.  You cannot create data or projects for ArcGIS for Windows Mobile without ArcGIS Desktop.

For you, ArcGIS Desktop would come into play if your end result is utilizing the shapefiles used in ArcPad within an AutoCAD application.  ArcGIS Desktop has geoprocessing tools which will convert the shapefiles into a dwg or other format readable by AutoCAD. 

Now, I do believe that there are also import tools in AutoCAD which will allow you to import shapefiles, but I personally don't have much experience with that.  If you're interested in learning how to import shapefiles into AutoCAD without using ArcGIS Desktop, I would post that question on the AutoCAD forums instead.

The ArcPad Web Help and the additional links below will help to familiarize you with the capabilities of ArcPad.

Field GIS: Collecting and Editing Data Using ArcPad 10 (free training course)
http://training.esri.com/gateway/ind...&courseid=2103

ArcPad Videos
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/video/arcpad

Does this help?

If you are running into particular issues with specific functionality in ArcPad and are current on your ArcPad maintenance, I would suggest logging a new support incident with Esri Support Services.  We'd be happy to help you with specific questions you had regarding utilizing ArcPad.
0 Kudos
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
Can I ask that you expand on the following comment you made in your initial post:

"The data collection software we had written for ArcPad seems to finally be working after having it "tweaked"."

What sort of collection software have you written and how does it interact with ArcPad?  I initially was under the impression that you were successfully working with shapefiles in ArcPad, but I see that this is not the case.  Are you simply trying to create new shapefiles and add data to them in the field or have you written some sort of application the somehow sits on top of ArcPad?

Are you receiving an error when you try to add the shapefiles to ArcPad or do you not know how to add them in the first place?

From the main toolbar in ArcPad, there is a button with a yellow diamond with a green and white plus sign.  This button allows you to navigate to and add shapefiles to your document.  You also have the ability to create brand new shapefiles in ArcPad, via File (ArcPad icon in upper left) > New > Shapefile.

You do not necessarily need ArcGIS Desktop to work with ArcPad.  ArcPad can function by itself as a stand-alone program.  If you did have ArcGIS Desktop, you have greater functionality with ArcPad by being able to "check out and check in" data.

ArcPad Studio is a separate application for customizing ArcPad.  You can customize the way that attribute forms of shapefiles look and add additional functionality via scripting to ArcPad.  It is not required that you use ArcPad Studio.  ArcPad out-of-the-box will allow you to create new shapefiles or consume existing shapefiles.

ArcGIS for Windows Mobile is a separate mobile application similar to ArcPad (does not have any interaction at all with ArcPad) and DOES require that you have ArcGIS Desktop.  You cannot create data or projects for ArcGIS for Windows Mobile without ArcGIS Desktop.

For you, ArcGIS Desktop would come into play if your end result is utilizing the shapefiles used in ArcPad within an AutoCAD application.  ArcGIS Desktop has geoprocessing tools which will convert the shapefiles into a dwg or other format readable by AutoCAD. 

Now, I do believe that there are also import tools in AutoCAD which will allow you to import shapefiles, but I personally don't have much experience with that.  If you're interested in learning how to import shapefiles into AutoCAD without using ArcGIS Desktop, I would post that question on the AutoCAD forums instead.

The ArcPad Web Help and the additional links below will help to familiarize you with the capabilities of ArcPad.

Field GIS: Collecting and Editing Data Using ArcPad 10 (free training course)
http://training.esri.com/gateway/ind...&courseid=2103

ArcPad Videos
http://resources.arcgis.com/gallery/video/arcpad

Does this help?

If you are running into particular issues with specific functionality in ArcPad and are current on your ArcPad maintenance, I would suggest logging a new support incident with Esri Support Services.  We'd be happy to help you with specific questions you had regarding utilizing ArcPad.

The software we had written is basically a template for ArcPad. It is similar to the ones that it comes with, but is designed for our needs as a telecommunications engineering firm. Originally, the program was missing specific data that would allow ArcPad to open the file so that we could input data.

The main issue we ran into when we imported the shape files over to AutoCAD is that the points came in at a smaller scale than what our base maps are, which poses the problem of correclty plotting those points "geographically" correct. I am beginning to wonder if this could be a problem with the projection set up between ArcPad and AutoCAD Map. I am researching that as well trying to find a happy medium that will work.
0 Kudos
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
I attempted to open a shape file in ArcPad, but it does not even list it. The only file I am able to open is the track log and apm. The other issue we are having is being able to export information into an Access or Excel file to get the pole information that was put into it.
0 Kudos
MicheleMattix2
New Contributor
Hi CAD-Coordinator,

ArcPad assumes that users have some basic familiarity with GIS and from what I understand, you are more of a CAD user than a GIS user.  As Tim said, you can certainly use ArcPad without ArcGIS installed in the office, it just means you will need to brush up on some basic GIS concepts.

You said that you copied a shapefile over to your mobile device and then you couldn't see it in your ArcPad map.  Did you use the Add Data button to try and add the shapefile?  If so, were you able to see it listed in the location where you copied it?  If it's not being recognized by ArcPad at all, it may be because you didn't copy all of the separate files that make up the shapefile. 

When you make edits to your data in ArcPad, you are making them, in your case, to the shapefile.  When you are back in the office and ready to get the data off of the mobile device, you can copy/paste the shapefile from the mobile device to your PC.  From there, I'm assuming you can open the shapefile in your CAD software to view it and possibly convert it to another format, if desired.  I don't work with CAD programs, but I know that many do support shapefiles.

As you suspected in one of your posts, coordinate system issues are often the culprit when data do not line up or, as it sounds like is happening in your case, are in completely different scales.  Shapefiles store the coordinate system, or projection, information in the PRJ file.  If this is missing, then ArcPad (and perhaps your CAD program) do not know which coordinate system the data are referencing.  For ArcPad, ALL of your data files MUST be in the same projection and the projection must be defined.

Tim gave you some great resources for getting started with ArcPad.  You might also want to brush up on some basic GIS topics.  There are tons of resources on Esri's webpages.  Here's a good place to read up on various GIS data types, including shapefiles: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/About_geographic_data_formats/00r90000...

Out of curiosity, how did you come to choose ArcPad?
0 Kudos
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
MMATTIX444,
After working with ESRI support, we were, WERE, able to get some things figured out. As for how we came to use ArcPad... Our office manager purchased 2 Handheld Nautiz X7 GPS units to replace our outdated Trimbles. We were informed that ArcPad was the software required to use these units. You are correct in that I, we, are CAD users and are very new to GIS. But since we need GPS units to collect data, these specific units came at high regard to use from a client. So far, we have been impressed with it's usability and interface. We had completed a few "test runs", and were able to, at the time, place the points into AuctoCAD Map 3D. Today, we are running into the issue of having the points come in at an incorrect scale which I thought was corrected previously, but my Map guy is having an issue getting the point locations correct.
0 Kudos
GrahamW
Occasional Contributor II
Hi CAD-Coordinator,

I have the same gripe with autocad.. its not actualy the scale.. it is because there is no defined block template to the mapimport(points) function where as if you import survey data in X,Y,Z,point Code from a CSV file it has a great block template.

the esiest way I have found so far which is hacked up is setting a theme from the map workspace or when iporting you can select the block such as this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDCE1JhQFA

Cheers Graham
0 Kudos
SamMontgomery
New Contributor
Hi CAD-Coordinator,

I have the same gripe with autocad.. its not actualy the scale.. it is because there is no defined block template to the mapimport(points) function where as if you import survey data in X,Y,Z,point Code from a CSV file it has a great block template.

the esiest way I have found so far which is hacked up is setting a theme from the map workspace or when iporting you can select the block such as this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rDCE1JhQFA

Cheers Graham

Thanks for that!!
I found that the MAP 3D operator was attempting to change the coordinates when attaching the shp file. Initially, we had to bring in the file without assigning a coordinate system to it. The issue with that is we could not pull dimensions off the points that were correct.

Our next problem is finding a way to extract the Long/Lat for points, as 90% of our clients require this on the spreadsheets and reports we create. I have been told that this requires a more invloved design than just downloading the files and opening them in Access or Excel.
0 Kudos