Less costly alternative to Trimble Juno for ArcPad 10 use

07-13-2011 06:50 AM
DanJordan
New Contributor
I have a department with  a Trimble Juno they use with ArcPad 10.  They want another such device  and they are wondering about less expensive alternatives to the Juno for use with ArcPad.  As a non-GIS expert in our IT department I am very reluctant to recommend alternatives to what they already have experience with even though it may save them a couple hundred dollars (they do have a tight budget). 

Device recommendations?  Advice?  The Juno seems to be ESRI's device of choice (per their promotional bundles) but I don't want to shut out the device competition if there's viable competition out there.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nev
by
New Contributor III
I used to use less costly alternatives.  You can get devices for a lot less, your business focussed devices from HP, HTC etc but I have settled on the JUNO for now.  Your cheaper devices are a real compromise for field use.  Generally they will be phone focussed, have worse battery life, worse screen for daylight viewing (or smaller screen) and sometimes poorer GPS performance.  Its been a long time since i really investigated alternatives, the mobile landscape is changing fast, I think most HTC devices are coming out with Android now so they are out for arcpad.
There are some good alternatives for a bit MORE $$ than the juno - Nautiz X7/Getac PS236.
Just do a search for windows mobile devices with integrated GPS and camera, there doesn't seem much around these days in that form factor (not available in Aus anyway).
Mick
0 Kudos
PatrickMurphy
Occasional Contributor
I use the HP211, with an extended battery from Muggen, and a data logging bluetooth GPS from NavTech.  Works Great and way cheaper.  The HP211 is getting out of date, but works great and are still available including on EBAY.  One extra I really suggest is gettig the Otterbox defender case, but they don't make them anymore so you would have to find it on EBAY too.
0 Kudos
RobChouinard
Occasional Contributor
I have read about these: http://www.magellangps.com/Products/GIS-Data-Collection-Series/eXplorist-Pro-10

Supposedly the price is around $700. I don't know anyone that has one but we may pick up one in the future to try out.
0 Kudos
StevenRehbaum
New Contributor
We are going with a tablet in the near future.  I cannot justify the cost of Trimble products other than their actual receivers.  If you have external receivers (which I think you do not), you can get a rugged tablet from Motion with full Windows 7 for less than $1,000.  System resources blow away anything other than the Yuma from Trimble for a fraction of the cost.  Bluetooth connection and a serial emulator to USB backup (just in case).  For 2-5 meter accuracy, I think you could just buy the Trimble or some other brand sd slot receiver for a laptop if they still make one (real cheap option).  As mentioned, Magellan (or whatever they are now) seems like a solid alternative as well.  I have heard good things about them from field users.  HTH.
0 Kudos
PatrickMurphy
Occasional Contributor
Just as a baseline, doesn't the Juno sell for $700?  So cheaper than that is the basis of the question?
0 Kudos
StaceMaples
Occasional Contributor III
We are testing one of these:

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/inspiron-duo/pd?oc=cwduo1&model_id=inspiron-duo

Nice performance (compared to PDA sized units), convertible and the bonus (that we didn't realize when we ordered it) is that it has an integrated broadband card with onboard GPS, so everything you need is already there!  ALl that for $550 (less if you have a business account with Dell!).
0 Kudos
StevenRipple
New Contributor
I use Juniper Systems Archers.  A bit less expensive.  I've used both and prefer Juniper - and I can get help right now with them whereas Trimble is like pulling teeth to get help sometimes.  They are nearly indestructible too.
0 Kudos