Problem with ArcPad compass

05-26-2011 05:40 PM
JasonWeber
New Contributor
Hi Everyone,
I use ArcPad version 8 on a Nomad (Trimble) and am having problems with the compass. The compass and screen position icon arrow constantly change direction which make navigation with this device nearly impossible. This occurs even though we have a strong satellite fix and are on flat as well as open ground. The actual location of the position icon is still correct though. Does anybody have any idea what would cause this and how to solve this problem.  
Thanks.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MarietteHachey-Boudreau
New Contributor II
I am using ArcPad 10 on a GRS-1(topcon) and i am having the same problem.
I have found that for using a go to function, as long as you are walking the compass needle will be steady.
But if you are standing still the compass needle almost spins.
This puts in the question the bearing reading when you take a photo.

I am wondering if the compass needs to be calibrated in ArcPad or if the hardware needs to be calibrated.
I cant seemed to find the answer.
0 Kudos
PeterBold
New Contributor
I think the problem is that ArcPad calculates the compass information from the GPS signals it gets. If you don't move, it can not calculate a compass information - it is not like using a magnetic compass.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hello

This compass is really useless. The problem is with ArcPad not with GPS signals. Even Iphone has a better compass.
0 Kudos
CraigClouet
New Contributor III
ArcPad is Software. The Iphone is a hardware device that has a compass chip built in. It is only when the GPS units are equiped with a compass chip simular to the iphone that this issue can be overcome.
0 Kudos
DaveChamberlin
New Contributor II
Technically there is no compass at all on the gps unit or in arcpad.  Correct, it is based off GPS signals when movement is detected.  Standing still, the accuracy of the gps unit is directly linked to what is posted on Trimbles site.  if it says the unit receives 2-5 meters raw, then satellites will say you are at x, then y, then z, all within a 15 foot circle.  thats why the compass in arcpad spins...making navigating back to a point difficult in some aspects.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
ArcPad is Software. The Iphone is a hardware device that has a compass chip built in. It is only when the GPS units are equiped with a compass chip simular to the iphone that this issue can be overcome.

Hello Craig

I use trimble Juno and GeoXT 2008. Do you mean that both these devices do not have compass chips? Can you suggest a windows mobile device with compass chip? Will ArcPad compass work correctly with such a device?

Regards
Yashwant
0 Kudos