RTK with ArcPAD

03-30-2012 08:42 PM
ChrisPalmer
New Contributor
Is anyone doing real time RTK with ArcPAD? I am trying to get this set up on a topcon GRS 1. Field Tools for Arcpad is only giving network RTK as an option. We do not have access to a network in our area so this is not going to be any use unless i can figure out how to get a standard RTK configuration set up.

Has anyone had any success configuring a survey for RTK using ArcPAD?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
Chris,

Can you expand a little bit more regarding the exact pieces of equipment you're using and the software versions?  Additionally, what method are you using to connect to real time data?

Normally you would need either a 3G SIM connection or a radio connection to get this data.  I've used RTK with ArcPad using a GeoXH 6000 with 3G card combined with GPScorrect.

Any additional info might help narrow this one down.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
ChrisPalmer
New Contributor
Using Topcon equipment,

GB1000 receiver for the base, Hyper+ receiver and GRS-1 controller for the rover.

We are trying to run ArcPAD 10 with Topcons Field Tools for ArcPAD extension. The extension allows ArcPAD to take advantage of the "RTK accuracy" of the Topcon equipment.

However, Field Tools only seems to be allowing Network DGPS, Network RTK and PP corrections.

We are remote and have no access to network corrections and would like to know if anyone else has been using ArcPAD in an RTK setup. I am especially interested in any success using Topcon equipment.
0 Kudos
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
My guess is that the Topcon software assumes that if you are using a base and rover system, then you are going to utilize a survey style software for field collection. Are you able to configure the base and rover with the surveying software for UHF radio corrections, then send the NMEA string via bluetooth from the Hiper to the GRS-1?

I would recommend contacting your Topcon dealer as this is a function that needs to be configured in the GPS/GNSS hardware or through an office software.
0 Kudos
ChrisPalmer
New Contributor
Yes that is how it is done in TopSURV. It looks like we are just not going to have that accuracy available in ArcPAD.
0 Kudos
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
It isn't that the accuracy isn't available in ArcPad as ArcPad is simply receiving NMEA data. Sometimes the hardware has to be more extensively configured in order to properly send the information needed to ArcPad.

I have used a different brand of base and rover configuration with UHF radios and ArcPad in the past, and it took a few additional steps, but it worked.

I would really recommend talking to your dealer. Many survey dealers have experience utilizing survey equipment for hydrology surveys and export data to a 3rd party software, this is not any different.
0 Kudos