Shape file with Z and M,

01-10-2014 08:58 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Shape file with Z and M,

I couldn???t figure out the distinction between having point shape file, pointZ and PointM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30395[/ATTACH]

What is the impact of these shape files as points are captured from the field?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
LucasBannan2
New Contributor III
Hi Jamal,

A quick answer to your question is that Z-Values (PointZ) have the ability to store elevation (such as GPS height) along with the default X,Y coordinates whereas M-Values allow the ability to store linear measurements (such as offsets within ArcPad). A few links below discuss these options a bit more in depth.

Working with offsets

GPS Height

Feature class basics (under the 'Vertical measurements using z-values' and 'Linear measurements using m-values' sections)

Hope this helps.
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

A quick answer to your question is that Z-Values (PointZ) have the ability to store elevation (such as GPS height) along with the default X,Y coordinates whereas M-Values allow the ability to store linear measurements (such as offsets within ArcPad). A few links below discuss these options a bit more in depth.

Working with offsets

GPS Height

Feature class basics (under the 'Vertical measurements using z-values' and 'Linear measurements using m-values' sections)

Hope this helps.

Many thanks Luke for the help.

I aimed at creating a shape file that stores XY and Z as points are captured from the ground. This is why I selected the pointZ.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30399[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]30400[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]30401[/ATTACH]

At the end, I tried to open the pointz shape file from the ArcMap but it appears no field that stores the elevation values.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30402[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Enabling the z-value as a shape file is created

• allows collecting the Z (elevation) when adding a shape file in an application (like ArcPad) installed in GPS device,
  • allows adding the Z value through the “edit sketch properties” in the ArcMap

Clip_521.jpg

Clip_522.jpg

Clip_523.jpg

Clip_524.jpg

Clip_525.jpgClip_526.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III

Hola Jamal,

I wanted to add my two cents to your post, and hopefully this applet will assist you and make things easier for you. Since I see you are looking to capture Z & M values for your data, here is a ArcScript that may make things easier for you in your workflow. This is not written by Esri or supported by us (Support Services/Esri) but we do post items that may assist our customers.

Good Luck!

Gracias, Jamal!

Add XYZ to Table
http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=16785

Juan

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Juan,

My issue here is how to stick the Z-value in the attribute table in case the Z-value is set to be enabled. The XY coordinates can be calculated using the “add xy coordinates” tool but how about the z value? How it can be incorporated in the attribute table as a field?

Clip_528.jpg

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It works fine

Clip_627.jpg

Clip_628.jpg