Successive data check-ins indicate no new features ArcPad / GPS Analyst

Jump to solution
10-30-2012 06:40 AM
NickNolte
New Contributor II
To start off, a little bit of background: We're using ArcGIS 10.0 SP3 with GPS Analyst 2.30, ArcPad 10 with GPSCorrect 3.14 on a Trimble GeoXH 2008. We haven't done any GPS collection in a while and I'm having an issue getting back into it.

From what I recall, I used to be able to check out a feature class for disconnected editing in the field where we would GPS some features. I would come back and check the data in. The following day I could go out again and collect additional data with the same project in ArcPad without re-checking the data out and then check it back in that afternoon and it would bring in the new data.

What I am experiencing now, is I am not able to check in data more than once. If I go out and collect 10 points, the first check-in results in 10 new features. If I then go back out with the same ArcPad project and collect 20 more points, when I check-in, the tool dialog indicates there are no new or modified features.  If I tell it to run anyway it says it imported a bunch of GPS points but no new features are created.

Am I just going about this in the wrong manner, despite what I remember doing before?

Thanks!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Nick, all ArcPad check-ins must be preceded by new or fresh check-out in order to keep historical records of edits to geodatabase. Once data is checked out the resultant ArcPad AXF file can be copied and distributed to            multiple ArcPad users.  Each ArcPad AXF file copy can be checked in individually, or as a            batch, allowing multiple edits to be performed in the field by multiple users.  All edits in ArcPad, including adding features and related table records, deleting            features and records, modifying attribute values, and changing feature geometry can be            checked back in to the geodatabase.  Edits are replayed to the geodatabase in the same            order as they occurred in ArcPad.

Ryan, actually you can check in edits from one or more ArcPad AXF files at a time and from one or more            feature classes at a time.  See the Get Data from ArcPad Help topics for more information.

Yet, using GPScorrect and GPS Analyst extensions do utilize the GPS Analyst toolbar instead of ArcPad Data Manager toolbar.

Cheers,
Denise

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RyanAnderson
New Contributor II
Nick,
You can only check in the axf one time, so after you checked in your ten points, you would then need to check-out the data again for disconnected editing in order to be able to go and collect\modify additional points.
0 Kudos
NickNolte
New Contributor II
Ryan, thanks for the response. Are you aware if this changed recently? I am 98% certain we worked with the same project day in and day out and just checked in the data at the end of the day. 

Just now I exported a feature class to ArcPad and went out and shot a point. Checked it in. Fine. Then I went to check it out again and I cannot use the same as the project before "a folder with that name already exists" This means when we check-out we have to either delete the folder to re-export or export with a new name and I am 100% sure that we didn't do that before. I had it rather streamlined so it was bring in the GeoXH, dock it, let it sync, open ArcMap, check-in, done. And we would just repeat that part of the process the next day.
0 Kudos
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Nick, all ArcPad check-ins must be preceded by new or fresh check-out in order to keep historical records of edits to geodatabase. Once data is checked out the resultant ArcPad AXF file can be copied and distributed to            multiple ArcPad users.  Each ArcPad AXF file copy can be checked in individually, or as a            batch, allowing multiple edits to be performed in the field by multiple users.  All edits in ArcPad, including adding features and related table records, deleting            features and records, modifying attribute values, and changing feature geometry can be            checked back in to the geodatabase.  Edits are replayed to the geodatabase in the same            order as they occurred in ArcPad.

Ryan, actually you can check in edits from one or more ArcPad AXF files at a time and from one or more            feature classes at a time.  See the Get Data from ArcPad Help topics for more information.

Yet, using GPScorrect and GPS Analyst extensions do utilize the GPS Analyst toolbar instead of ArcPad Data Manager toolbar.

Cheers,
Denise
0 Kudos
NickNolte
New Contributor II
Ryan and Denise,

Thanks for your responses. I'll admit that I don't think we've done any GPS work since ArcPad 7, so maybe it's a little different that I remember. I'm pretty sure last time I did a GPS export I was using the Get Data for Arcpad 7 button, not the AXF button.

Either way, we'll be sure to use the correct workflow going forward.

Thanks again
Nick
0 Kudos