ArcReader Control - where to start, tutorials, troubleshooting etc.

06-30-2011 07:43 AM
scotthiggins1
New Contributor
I'm having trouble getting my head around using the ArcReader control in Visual Studio to customize an ArcReader application. I'm just familiarizing myself with this customization of arcreader capability.

In a new form (design mode), I go to the tool box, and add the Esri AxArcReaderControl to the Form.

When I enter debugger, I invariably get an InvalidOperatorException was unhandled error. I'm doing something simple wrong....

Are there clear/succinct tutorials for customizing ArcReader applications (Step by Step).

Another related issue I'm having is in regards to the sample code that I load into Visual Studio. I load up the sample code (for example DocumentProperties). I compile it and it loads fine. But as soon  as I begin to customize the code at all, or customize the layout (i.e. resize the ArReaderControl box) the project becomes unrunnable). The error message becomes:

Error 1 Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/ArcGIS/DeveloperKit10.0/DotNet/ESRI.ArcGIS.ADF.Local.dll' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. Line 221, position 5. C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0\Samples\ArcObjectsNet\ARControlMapTools\VBNET\MapTools.resX 221 5 MapTools2010

I can't even succesfully open a .pmf through the reader control.

Someone pointing me in the write direction would be forever appreciated!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ValCannon
New Contributor III
I am also finding programming the ArcReader Control very challenging. I understand that it can be very difficult to keep documentation current since there are so many versions of ArcGIS Desktop and Visual Studio, but the lack of documentation and support makes me think that this whole solution my be going away someday. I hope not because there will always be a need for distribuatable programs that do not require an internet connection.
I'm using VS Express 2008 with ArcGIS 10.0. I'm getting things to work but the documentation seems to be for a different version of Visual Studio.
0 Kudos