Trouble installing ARCReader

12-03-2010 02:06 AM
BARBARATELLMAN
New Contributor
I installed ARC Desktop 10 and in the process thought I had unstalled all 9.3 items.   When I try to install ARCReader 10, however, it will not install because something from 9.3 is still on the computer.  I have searched the hard drive and deleted two items that had 9.3 but it still won't install.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
LaureneKoman
Esri Contributor
Please post the message you get when you attempt to install ArcReader.

thanks
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Installation Team
0 Kudos
BARBARATELLMAN
New Contributor
One or moire ARCGIS version9.3.1770 products exist on your machine.  You must uninstall them before installing ArcGIS ArcReader 10.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor
Please post the message you get when you attempt to install ArcReader.

thanks
Laurene Koman
ArcGIS Installation Team

Has anyone had any luck installing ArcReader 10?  I am having an issues with a lap top installation not completely uninstalling old ArcReader Software so that ArcReader 10 can be installed.  I am due to give a demonstration to a bunch of high school students in the morning.. belated GIS Day Demo.
0 Kudos
KarenCedeno-Perdue
New Contributor
Has anyone had any luck installing ArcReader 10?  I am having an issues with a lap top installation not completely uninstalling old ArcReader Software so that ArcReader 10 can be installed.  I am due to give a demonstration to a bunch of high school students in the morning.. belated GIS Day Demo.

My demo went well with backup data on 9.3.1.  However, the problem still exists on the lap top in question.  For some reason ArcReader 9.2 was not completely uninstalled on this lap top before 9.3 and 9.3.1 was loaded.  9.3 removes, but then going to uninstall 9.2 it says it has 9.3 still installed and will not uninstall.  As you know, all previous versions of ArcReader must be completely uninstalled to load ArcReader 10.

I do have local admin rights to this laptop, but not network admin rights.  Local admin rights do not have Internet access.  The only possibiltiy I can think of is some sort of Internet access during the uninstall process where this would be an issue.  Thoughts? Ideas?  I have 11 office workstations and 8 lap tops that will have this issue. 

Sorry ESRI.. I don't have time to port and teach everyone ArcExplorer/ArcGlobe and I have to have a free data viewer.  Mid Sized local governent does not have that kind of money for increased software or addtional GIS people.
0 Kudos
BARBARATELLMAN
New Contributor
I am disappointed that no one has offered a solution to the problem that I and the other person who posted here have described.   ARCReader is inaccessible to our computers.   Has anyone solved this problem?
0 Kudos
JulieDyer
New Contributor
Sorry to change the subject, but the thread title is appropriate.

I am trying to install ArcReader 9.3.1 on a MacBook Pro running Parallels 5 and XP.  I first installed Arc Explorer, which went OK - after installation of several Windows updates, only to realise that it was ArcReader that I should have installed.  I then downloaded ArcReader and installed it, seemingly without problems (message that installation was successful).  When I try to start the program, I get a message that "ArcReader is not properly installed".  I tried re-installing, redownloading and re-installing, running the repair option under setup, re-booting my virtual machine, all to no avail.

Is there some conflict with ArcExplorer or what could be the problem? The machine I am using is a work station not connected to the Internet.
0 Kudos
JulieDyer
New Contributor
It seems like I had to uninstall ArcExplorer, then ArcReader installed fine.  Strange...
0 Kudos