Windows cannot find the specified file - .pmf file

09-01-2011 10:53 AM
ScottSnider
New Contributor III
Greetings,  I am in need of some assistance with our published maps.  One of our utility departments utilizes a published map for deployment to field inspectors to give them disconnected access to tap cards, construction drawings, etc.  The GIS Technician in their deparment creates the .pmf file and publishes it to the server.  We have a nightly process that updates the .shp files needed for the project.

On each of the laptops they regularly run a script that pulls the shapefiles, published map, and all scans over to their local machines.  However, after running the update we run into an issue where they click on the shortcut to the pmf file windows throws an error that reads:

"Windows cannot find the specified file "file name" please check the file name . . .

To resolve this problem we do one of two things.  The first is to rebuild the user's profile on the machine.  Alternatively we can go into Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options> File Types Tab then find pmf file type in the list and go to the "Advanced" button.  Here we select OPEN and click EDIT.  Then you browse to the location of the arcreader.exe (or whatever the file is named).  We also have to uncheck the box for "USE DDE." 

This fixes the problem but it comes back eventually.  I do not know if it comes back after running the script or something else.

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.  I'm hoping there is a more permanent fix available than what we go through to make the published map work.  For all I know it could be something the user causes when creating the map or it could be with the update script or it could be from Reader.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. 

Scott F. Snider, GISP
GIS Coordinator
City of Lancaster, OH
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies