Geographic Coordinate Systems Vs. Projected Coordinate Systems Question?

03-03-2022 02:22 PM
RyanChallender
New Contributor

<span;>Hello everyone! So I'm taking an intro  to GIS class at my college and I'm trying to find any good forums or groups that I would be able to ask questions and problem solve stuff? I'm trying to find a good community forum that I could ask this question that my textbook had at the end of the chapter on coordinate systems!

<span;>"In  a Geographic Coordinate System all properties are distorted unlike a Projected Coordinate System, why might this be the case?"!

<span;>I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking through this and I feel like it's something obvious that I'm just overlooking! So if anyone is able to help me on this and/or  able to suggest some good GIS forums I might  find useful this semester I'd be truly grateful!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi @RyanChallender 

I am not sure about this question. I suspect that the answer they are looking for is that projections seek to preserve some properties from distortions (although they can't preserve them all).

However, I don't think it's accurate to say that a GCS distorts properties. I think what they probably mean is that if you draw a map with a GCS, then properties will be distorted. Technically, you can't draw a map with a GCS, because it is impossible to draw the round earth on a flat surface without a projection. So when you tell ArcGIS to make a flat map with a GCS, it is forced to choose a projection (otherwise it wouldn't be able to display your data at all). It draws using a pseudo Plate Carrée projection. This is just latitude and longitude represented as a simple grid of squares. It is called pseudo because it is measured in angular units (degrees) rather than linear units (meters). This projection is easy to understand and easy to compute, but it also distorts all areas, angles, and distances.

So yes - if you choose a GCS for your map, everything will be distorted. However, it's not the GCS that is doing the distorting, it's the pseudo plate caree projection that is used behind the scenes.

I explain all of this better in this article: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/mapping/gcs_vs_pcs/  Hopefully it can make this clearer.

RyanChallender
New Contributor

Thanks for clarifying! I thought the question made no sense and I think it was poorly written by my professor. I knew that most distortions arise from moving from 3D to 2D, but the way the question read made it sound like a GCS distorts all 4 properties (shape, area, direction and distance), which didn't sound right to me, so I was trying to double check if I was just poorly mistaken on this or if I was right to be thoroughly confused! Appreciate your help! 

0 Kudos