Add tables to cascade template

Jump to solution
12-15-2016 01:00 PM
deleted-user-KnEH1ZtJQ4CO
New Contributor II

From other posts I understand that tables may not be directly supported in the cascade story map template, but I would like to vote for some manner of incorporating them directly. For a workaround, I will be using an image of an HTML table, but lose responsiveness and styling capabilities with this approach.

An example of the current limitation is below showing a small table with a header and two rows with data. The table is on a html page and inserted via an iframe so we can style the contents.

This is a screen capture showing the gap/unused space that is shown below a small table - the table is hosted in an iframe.

The highlighted blue area is extra space in the div with block-media class applied. For content whose height is smaller than the minimum height of this class, empty space is left and I don't see a straightforward way to remove it.

Thanks,

Tim

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback. I think this is a good idea, and we'd like to enhance how dynamic web content like tables can be displayed in Cascade. I've added your suggestion to our system for consideration for a future release.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your feedback. I think this is a good idea, and we'd like to enhance how dynamic web content like tables can be displayed in Cascade. I've added your suggestion to our system for consideration for a future release.

Owen

Owen Evans
JoseSoto
New Contributor II

With the concept of Open Data expanding for ESRI, this will be valuable in CASCADE and JOURNAL stories. thanks.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for your feedback, Jose. Can you please provide more detail on the connection you're envisioning between Open Data and Story Maps so we can understand what you are looking for?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JoseSoto
New Contributor II

There are times where I'd like to display a dataset to users with interactive capabilities (filter, etc). i'd like to be able to embed (only) the data tab or outline of dataset, limiting the user experience to the data only, not all aspects of site.

I managed to figure out that i needed to wrap the page inside an iframe in order for it to display from a media link, but this exposes user to travel away from the story and into other content areas within the story. 

if you have other questions, let me know. 

0 Kudos