adding new locations to shortlist

Jump to solution
02-01-2017 07:10 AM
MelissaPrindiville
New Contributor III

I created a story map (Shortlist Story Map 2.1.0.) by adding a rest feature service to arcgis online saving it and then share>create a web app> Build a Story Map >Story Map Shortlist.  

I want to now add a new point location to the story map.  I assumed there were two ways to add a location one through the story map in edit mode and the other by editing the feature layer.  

However if I add it through the story map the information is not found in the search.  I created a custom search to search the feature layer used to create the story map.  

If I add a location to the feature layer the value is found in the search but doesn't show the point, image and description in the story map tile list.

Do I need to update both places in order for the data to appear or am I missing something? How should I update location in my story map that was created by a feature layer service?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Crystal

Our March 1st update of Shortlist added a new authoring workflow called 'As is'. In this workflow, you can create a web map containing a layer that contains a set of fields that the Shortlist looks for (see this FAQ to get the template). When you create a Shortlist from this web map (i.e. open the web map in ArcGIS Online and choose Share > Create Web App) and you choose the 'As is' option, Shortlist will live link to your web map and reflect updates you make to the layer in that map. You can make edits to the layer or completely replace. In this mode, the Shortlist Builder won't let you interactively add, delete or edit places: instead changes have to be made via the web map. So this mode should be good for all you GIS pros who like to manage and update data in batch and serve it up. 

This new authoring workflow can't be applied retroactively to your existing Shortlists. To take advantage of the 'As is' mode you have to create a new Shortlist and choose that authoring option. So if you create a Shortlist and use the Import workflow option to import your points into the Shortlist Builder, there is no live link back to your original web map.

There's a bug in the current Shortlist beta that the 'As is' option doesn't work with ArcGIS Enterprise feature services. It works OK if you create a feature service using ArcGIS Online, but it has a hard time with feature services you serve up using ArcGIS Enterprise server instances/REST. With those services, it looks like it has works initially but the Shortlist doesn't display correctly. Sorry about this issue.

Rupert

PS. If you created your Shortlist using the Import option, your points are stored in a layer in a new web map that Shortlist manages for you. The web map is called "XXX - Shortlist Builder" and the layer it contains is called "Shortlist layer (DO NOT REMOVE)". It can be tempting to try and edit the points in that layer directly in that web app to try and update your Shortlist. Don't try and do that. It can cause your Shortlist to get confused and you can lose your points 

(we should add DO NOT EDIT to that layer name). It's OK to edit that web map to add a supporting layer like a study area but if you must edit that map, be sure to close the Shortlist Builder if it is open in another tab in your web browser before you make edit that web map.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarkCooney
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Melissa,

There is currently not a way for the Shortlist feature data to be managed outside of the Shortlist builder.  When you start with a web map, and from a feature layer service, we merely copy the feature data over to a new web map that is no longer associated with the feature service layer.  All edits are then done in the Shortlist builder and will not be reflected in the original feature service layer, and vice versa.  We are looking at adding the capability for the Shortlist viewer to read all of the feature's from a layer managed outside of the builder, so that you could manage your features from a feature service layer.  We will keep you updated on the status of that enhancement and workflow.

-Mark

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Melissa, 

We have now updated Shortlist to include the 'as-is' authoring workflow option that Mark described above that live links your Shortlist to places in your web map instead of importing them into them into its own data store. It was released as part of last night's ArcGIS Online update. For more info about that option and other new features in the Story Map apps, please see: What’s New in Story Maps (March 2017) | ArcGIS Blog 

Also please let us know if you have questions or comments about this new authoring workflow.

Rupert

0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

Joining in on this.  I still don't think the capability is there.  I have updated my hosted feature layer but the new edits are not in the generic Shortlist web map or the Story Map.  The updates only show up in the web map I created.  How do you get the new edits to show in the Shortlist story map without having to recreate?  

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Crystal

Our March 1st update of Shortlist added a new authoring workflow called 'As is'. In this workflow, you can create a web map containing a layer that contains a set of fields that the Shortlist looks for (see this FAQ to get the template). When you create a Shortlist from this web map (i.e. open the web map in ArcGIS Online and choose Share > Create Web App) and you choose the 'As is' option, Shortlist will live link to your web map and reflect updates you make to the layer in that map. You can make edits to the layer or completely replace. In this mode, the Shortlist Builder won't let you interactively add, delete or edit places: instead changes have to be made via the web map. So this mode should be good for all you GIS pros who like to manage and update data in batch and serve it up. 

This new authoring workflow can't be applied retroactively to your existing Shortlists. To take advantage of the 'As is' mode you have to create a new Shortlist and choose that authoring option. So if you create a Shortlist and use the Import workflow option to import your points into the Shortlist Builder, there is no live link back to your original web map.

There's a bug in the current Shortlist beta that the 'As is' option doesn't work with ArcGIS Enterprise feature services. It works OK if you create a feature service using ArcGIS Online, but it has a hard time with feature services you serve up using ArcGIS Enterprise server instances/REST. With those services, it looks like it has works initially but the Shortlist doesn't display correctly. Sorry about this issue.

Rupert

PS. If you created your Shortlist using the Import option, your points are stored in a layer in a new web map that Shortlist manages for you. The web map is called "XXX - Shortlist Builder" and the layer it contains is called "Shortlist layer (DO NOT REMOVE)". It can be tempting to try and edit the points in that layer directly in that web app to try and update your Shortlist. Don't try and do that. It can cause your Shortlist to get confused and you can lose your points 

(we should add DO NOT EDIT to that layer name). It's OK to edit that web map to add a supporting layer like a study area but if you must edit that map, be sure to close the Shortlist Builder if it is open in another tab in your web browser before you make edit that web map.

0 Kudos