Avoid preloading/duplicating all entries in a series story map

03-17-2015 01:56 PM
JonathanZaid
New Contributor III

I have a Series Story Map which has a few entries. Each entry is a map entry, pointing to the same web app. Before the map is functional is fully visualized it looks like each web map for each entry is loaded. I've experimented with different extents for each entry to having the same extent for all entries. Even if the extent is the same, the feature layers for the webmaps, which are identical, are downloaded. The feature layers are not large (about 80k), but download time is 3-5 seconds, and total time to get going is about 10 seconds.

The end result is that the user-experience is not very good, as there is a significant delay.

I've experimented both with the hosted web app, as well as the downloaded template, which has the same results.

Is there anyway I can optimize this somewhere in the downloaded template? I see that everything seems to happen as the result of one atomic call, "arcgisUtils.createMap", and I can't see any options which will help me, but perhaps there is a way around this?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JonathanZaid
New Contributor III

I'm not sure how you got it to work in the sandbox. If I put  ba487f357cc940b69b414765ab94153e in the CreateMap call in the sandbox link you sent me, I get an error. Also, my firefox console doesn't look like the one you sent me, but in any case, it also seems that you got repeated calls to perhaps the same query, but its hard to see because the information is cut off.

Here is a screenshot of what I see in Firebug

mockup2.JPG

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III

ba487f357cc940b69b414765ab94153e is your web app id, you have to use your webmap 1640bcd752954581b489118dfe9c0bd3 in the sandbox.

I was unsure if this was expected or not and if I was missing something but looks like the JS team think something is not normal. I will keep you posted here, hopefully in the next days.

0 Kudos
JonathanZaid
New Contributor III

The problem is not reproducible with the web map. It's a combination of map + app and it looks like the number or calls to the feature layer is the same as the number of entries in the app. It might easily be something that I did not understand or a mistake we made in configuring the map.

Thanks again for taking a look at this problem and looking forward to hear what the JS team comes up with.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

I am unsure why I can't exactly reproduce the same behavior than you but the JS team communicated me that they are working on a fix, that should be included in the next release in July.

0 Kudos
JonathanZaid
New Contributor III

Thanks. It would be nice that if they actually found a fix that they could recommend a work-around or a cause for this behavior. We have made many maps and for some reason only this one seems to be giving problems. It might be the way it was assembled. But I can't put my finger on it.

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

I will keep you in touch.

Yes it seems to be an edge case due to something specific about your webmap. You have multiple layer in that webmap, maybe if you try to rebuild the webmap adding them one by one you will find a way to make it works.

0 Kudos